A Search for the Best Sushi in San Luis Obispo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Judging by the popularity of sushi places nation-wide, I’m not the only one who loves sushi. My favorites are salmon, crab, veggie or eel rolls. And miso soup is a must! Even if sushi doesn’t quite agree with you, there’s something for everyone at Japanese restaurants, whether that’s vegetable tempura, chicken teriyaki or a bowl of hot udon soup.

I began my quest for the best local sushi spots by researching the popular, yet relatively cheap sushi bars in San Luis Obispo. After visiting a few and trying out their food, here’s how the restaurants stacked up:

5. Sumo Sushi

Located downtown next to CVS, this restaurant has a great atmosphere and a large assortment of sushi to choose from.

4. Sushiya

Situated off of Los Osos Valley Road, Sushiya serves up some tasty dishes. Service here can be on the slow side, but they give each table a complimentary bowl of salty and delicious edamame.

3. Yanagi Sushi

With a wide array of sushi on the menu, Yanagi also has plenty of rice bowls, soup and noodles dishes. Be sure to try their mochi ice cream for dessert!

2. Kokoro Sushi and Grill

There were so many diverse options it was a challenge for me to decide what to order because everything looked amazing. I ended up feasting on their Philadelphia roll, which was stuffed with salmon, cream cheese and asparagus. Kokoro can be found on Olive Street, next to Cowgirl Cafe.

1. Aisuru Sushi

This is, by far, my favorite sushi place in town. Formerly known as Shin’s, this amazing spot is located downtown, right next to Fremont Theater. They feature popular half-price rolls which are the cheapest, yet most delicious sushi I have found in San Luis Obispo yet. I always go for the house special roll and miso soup. On Thursday evening, you can also grab a quick bite from their food booth downtown during Farmer’s Market.

I hope you’ve got your chopsticks ready, because there are so many awesome sushi places in San Luis Obispo. Next time you’re craving some umami flavor, try one of these restaurants!

I'm Frances. I'm 19 and am currently studying anthropology and geography at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. My ultimate passion is travel but I also love to eat, cook, read, and write. I hope to join the Peace Corps in a few years and make a tiny difference in the world.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.