The REAL Wardrobe Staples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

We’ve all seen those articles on “The Items You Need to Own,” and the things are always the same: beige trench-coat, a well-fitting pair of jeans, black flats, white button-up, blah blah blah. While these may be essentials for thirty-year-old professionals working in New York City, they’re definitely not for the 18-21 year old college-set. Here’s what you actually need to round out your collegiette closet.

1.      Knee-high Boots

Source

You can’t walk two feet on any university campus without spotting at least four pairs of girls wearing riding boots. For good reason: they’re ultra-flattering, versatile and classy. Virtually any style works with equestrian boots; for example, if you’re all “peace, love, and save the whales,” they’d look adorable with light-wash denim and a boho top, but if you’re more Gossip Girl than Greenpeace, they would pair equally well with tights, a tartan mini-skirt and a crisp blouse. Basically, you need these.

2.      An Anorak

Source

A cargo jacket is a cornerstone of a fashionable wardrobe. Thanks to its bulkiness, you can wear endless layers of sweaters and tops underneath to ward off chilly temperatures. Or if it’s Friday night and you’re trying to make that itsy-bitsy curve-hugging skirt and crop-top a little less scandalous (ahem, “stay warm”) throw one of these jackets on-top. As this girl proves, parkas also look simple and cute with simple bottoms. Honestly, if you can’t make them work in a bazillion different outfits, it’s not the jacket—it’s you.

3.      A Dressy Look

Source

Unfortunately, after a glorious four (or five…) years of college, we have to face the real world, which means graduating and getting a job. Sidenote: does it freak anyone else out that this is supposed to be “the time of our lives”? Like, guess it’s all down-hill from here. Anyways, unless you want to move back into your childhood bedroom, you’ll need some professional apparel for career fairs, internships and job interviews. You could go the boring black skirt-and-blazer route, or you could buy pieces that will easily transition to every-day life. This girl’s flats, pants and top could all definitely be used in other outfits. Get creative with your dressy pieces.

4.      College Sweatshirt

Source

Rhetorical question: do you still have school spirit if you don’t own at least one sweatshirt from your university book-store? You may be paying fifty bucks for what’s essentially a square of cotton with your school logo splashed across the front, but showing off your Mustang pride is priceless. However, just because pullovers are comfy doesn’t mean you can throw ‘em on with yoga pants and call it a day. (I’ve made my distaste for wearing loungewear in public very, very clear.) As this Penn State student demonstrates, you can make your school sweatshirt cute by treating it like a normal sweater. Wear it over a collared shirt, with a skater dress, with  jeans and ankle booties… Just make sure your colors and patterns don’t clash.

5.      A Comfy Tee

Source

Everyone needs a couple of comfortable, relaxed-fit t-shirts. If body-con dresses were Angelina Jolie—uptight and sexy—loose tees are Jennifer Lawrence—adorable and with a built-in “let it all hang out” feature. Wear them with denim jackets, cozy cardigans, jeggings… Like Lawrence, they’re good in pretty much any situation. Go ahead, eat that third slice of pizza. Your loose t-shirts have your back, and your stomach, covered.

But wait, there’s more! Part Two is coming soon!

Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu