An Open Letter to My Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Dear Mom (a.k.a. ‘Mommers’, ‘Homie’, ‘Brah’, and ‘Woman’),

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea how to start this letter. I mean, how could I even begin to express my gratitude for somebody as amazing as you? You’ve made me everything that I am today, and I really cannot thank you enough for that. You are, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the most incredible woman I know.

Mama, I still remember the first lesson you ever taught me. I was 10 years old, and you were taking me home from school. I had just finished one of my infamous Nikki rants about this guy in my class when you turned to me and said three simple words: “Boys are stupid.” I was mortified at the time, but looking back on it now, I realize how hilarious it was. As a young mother with an overly boy-crazy daughter, you just decided to give it to me straight — I love it. Honestly, the lesson is just like you: short and sweet, funny and realistic. You’ve taught me thousands of other lessons since then, but I think that one will always be my favorite.

As I’m typing this, I realize I’m practically three paragraphs in and I haven’t done anything to thank you for all the chaperoned field trips, rides to soccer practice and packed school lunches. I know that having four children meant you had more work than a lot of other parents (and trust me, having us as kids didn’t make it any easier for you), but you never once complained about it. You’ve always done everything for us with love, even if it meant waking up at 5 a.m. to drive me to community service projects or staying up late to help me with homework.

Most importantly, I want to thank you for teaching me how to be a compassionate, genuine person. You never once told me to behave a certain way or say a specific thing; you just led by example. I’m so proud and so lucky to be able to call you my mother. I miss you immeasurably when you’re not here, but thinking about all the lessons you’ve taught me and the gifts you’ve given me over the years (plus texting you on the daily), has helped me a lot.

Mom, thanks for all your advice and all your love. Thank you for giving me three wonderful siblings, and teaching me what it means to be an intelligent, loving young woman. Thank you for being so hilarious (you’re honestly the best Snapchatter I know), so forgiving and so understanding. Most of all, thank you for being my best friend. I know Mother’s Day technically only comes once a year, but every day is a great opportunity to appreciate you.

Your daughter,Nikki

Nikki is a senior at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where her parents think she's on track to graduate early with degrees in both Finance and French. She is -- kind of -- but she currently functions under the delusion that graduation, much like the limit, does not actually exist. In wake of this recent quarter-life crisis, Nikki plans to live out her final days as an undergrad nursing her giant ego, making Mean Girls references, and advocating for the continued use of the Oxford comma. She prefers her dog and s'mores Poptarts over most things, and survives on a delicate combination of iced coffee and cookie dough. In her free time, Nikki enjoys binge watching Modern Family, embarrassing herself in front of cute boys, and making empty promises to go to the gym. Hate mail and Mindy Kaling gifs can be tweeted to her anytime at @nikkikontiki.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.