This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Our Blog Editor thinks that “stylish gym-wear” is an oxymoron … But one of our writers disagrees! Here’s Francesca Shorer’s take on sporty chic.

Comfort is a big deal to me. It’s how I decide what I’m going to spend my days in. When I’m deciding what to wear, I think of how I can look my best in the most comfortable way.

During my college career I have come to have a special relationship with my Nike Free running shoes and Lululemon leggings. These two pieces of clothing are something of a trend on this campus and others across the country. They’ve gotten me through some tough times: sleep deprivation, midterms and finals. And now, as I’m getting my monthly dose of fashion magazines and reading about the spring trends that have come from the runway, I’m finding a reason to rejoice. One of the major trends this spring is sporty-chic. In other words, it’s time to embrace the active-wear we all know and love and turn it into something beautiful and cool. If even the great Karl Lagerfeld is showing running shoes on his holy runway, then you know this trend is one that needs to be immediately enacted in your wardrobe!

One of my favorite bloggers, Damsel in Dior, has shown some amazing examples on how to make this trend wearable. Damsel, a.k.a. Jacey Duprie, has repeatedly featured her own all black Nike Frees, and she makes them look fantastic! Duprie pairs them with casual yet stylish pieces. For bottoms, she chooses a great pair of black skinny jeans with a leather look. On top, a chic sweatshirt and a great oversized coat. As far as accessories, she keeps it simple with a fashionable clutch and a pair of oversized cat-eye glasses.The overall look is anything but gym-worthy. The thing that I love about Duprie is she makes this huge trend seem so simple and effortless — which is exactly what we need as we are rushing from classes to work and then back to studying.

The simple philosophy is also the main reason that I think this trend is so easily translatable from the catwalk to campus. So many of us already wear our Nike’s for half the week, so why not dress them up a little bit, whether that’s incorporating a cute hat from Moondoggies or adding a cool varsity jacket to your ensemble. These small adjustments are one of the main reasons why when I have to dress for the gym later that day, I have a little fun with my outfit. Sporty and chic make a great mix.

I am a first year Cal Poly student who is obsessed with fashion! It's what I daydream about and consume in massive amounts of in any way possible! I also love being a leader for Younglife in the San Luis Obispo area!
Sophia Liu

Cal Poly '19

Sophia Liu is a second-year architecture major and media arts minor at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She grew up in a little town in Los Angeles County. A wild dreamer, she loves photography, fashion, and big cities.