How to Make the Most Out of Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Thanksgiving break is the epitome of happiness. Not only do we get a day devoted solely to giving thanks for all of the wonderful aspects of our lives while feasting on delicious food, we also get a short (and very appreciated) break from our grueling classes.

As any college student knows, time is very precious – which means we should probably try to make the most out of our much-needed break before the end of the quarter and those dreaded finals hit us like a train yet again. Now, I’m not saying skip the turkey and pumpkin pie altogether, but devoting a couple hours per day to something that will positively affect your life once you get back to the real world of college definitely won’t hurt.

Whenever you aren’t busy fighting a food coma or catching up with all of your favorite people, try to check a few of these Thanksgiving must-do’s off of your list before making your trip back to campus.

1. Perfect Your Resume

Applying for internships is scary. Sending your resume off to a company is incredibly nerve-racking –especially if you happen to think you aren’t the most competitive applicant. It is absolutely essential to spend a few extra hours tweaking your document in order to showcase yourself in the best light possible.

2. Research Your After-College Life

Remember how fast your high school years passed by? Well, in case you haven’t already done the math, college follows the same four-year trajectory as your high school did – only this time, you are on the fast track to the real world. Thanksgiving break is the perfect time to cuddle up with a PSL and research your life goals, whether it includes graduate school, medical school, an internship program or even just diving straight into your career! It is always nice to have a plan, even if you don’t end up following it.

3. Study for Finals

It is never too early to start preparing for finals; every second spent memorizing vocab or flipping through flashcards will be beneficial during crunch-time. By preparing your studying essentials ahead of time, you will find yourself slightly less stressed out as you prepare for the most stressful week of the quarter.

4. Update Your Four-Year Plan

Does anyone else get anxious every time Cal Poly sends out an “Update Your PolyPlanner” email? Well, not anymore! If you dedicate a few hours to truly planning out the rest of your time in college, you will no longer have a mini panic attack every time you check your Cal Poly email. Not only will you be in the clear for satisfying that registration guideline, but you will also have a general idea of when you will be taking certain classes. *Disclaimer: your PolyPlan will change…classes will fill up before your registration rotation, or you will discover a new class that better appeals to you, and that is absolutely okay! A PolyPlan is just that – a plan!

5. Set Personal Goals

Making lists and planning can be beneficial for areas of your life beyond just educational purposes.  Try to compile a list of personal goals or aspirations that you want to complete over varying timelines. These goals could include anything from eating healthy until your spring break vacation or trying out all of SLO’s wonderful study spots (and coffee shops). Think of it as a New Year’s resolution – only better.  

Thanksgiving break is carefully placed towards the end of fall quarter which makes it the perfect time to relax with family and friends, gain a few pounds eating delicious holiday food and make simple (but helpful) plans for your future. But don’t forget to enjoy your few days of freedom!

Taylor Petschl

Cal Poly '18

Taylor Petschl is a Cal Poly SLO alum and is currently attending Boston University for graduate school. She is a former campus correspondent and editorial intern for Her campus! 
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.