yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

How to Decorate a Pumpkin Without Actually Carving It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As the crisp air settles in for the rest of the year, it is time to break out those pumpkin scented candles and head off to the local pumpkin patch. However, before you do, here is a quick guide to spice up your pumpkins without carving it.

The Sparkled Stem

What you’ll need:

• Glue
  • Fine Glitter
  • Any kind of pumpkin

For those who need to add a little sparkle in their lives this pumpkin for you! Just start with any size pumpkin and cover the stem into some glue (modge podge works great), then cover it any color glitter of your choosing.

The Glittered Letter

What you’ll need:

• Pen/ Sharpie
  • Mod Podge​
  • Paintbrush
  • Fine Glitter
  • White pumpkin  
  • Optional: Paper, Printer & Scissors

This one is a little harder, but is perfect for the monogram queens out there! You can freehand it or draw it or print it on a paper and cut it out before had. After the lettering is on the pumpkin, take a paint brush (size depending on how large the letter is) and trace the letter with the Mod Podge and then pour the glitter on top and dust off the extra!    

The Confetti

What you’ll need:

• Round confetti in various sized recommend black, silver, and gold
  • Glue (any type that dries clear)
  • Any color pumpkin, white is recommended

For a more classy look try adding circular confetti to a white pumpkin. Add glue all around the top and then down the humps of the pumpkin, then sprinkle the confetti over the to make it look like it is falling from the top down. To fill the space add spots of glue and place them with your fingers.

The Melted Crayon

What you’ll need:

• A box of crayons
  • Hot glue
  • Hair dryer

Break out the crayons and take a jump back to your childhood with this crayon inspired pumpkin! It’s as simple as gluing your favorite colors to the top of the pumpkin and then hit it with a hair dryer. This melted crayon pumpkin will be a showstopper on any front porch

The Fall Foliage

What you’ll need:

• Mod Podge
  • Dried and pressed leaves
  • Any kind of pumpkin  

For the outdoors, autumn loving soul this pumpkin is for you! All you will need is some glue and leaves. Adventure outside and collect some of the most beautiful leaves you can find and then press them in between a couple books. After a couple days you have your pressed leaves that are ready to be added onto the side of your favorite pumpkin.  

The Chalkboard

What you’ll need:

• Chalk paint
  • Chalk pens in various colors or just white
  • Any kind of pumpkin

If you want your pumpkins to last through until Christmas time look no further. First start out by covering your entire pumpkin with chalk paint, let dry and add your message for the Halloween season! But, do not worry when thanksgiving comes around just take some water and wash off the message and make it fit the new occasion!

For a little added bonus even though it does break the rules of no carving… take a small pumpkin, take off the top, and carve a small opening where a tealight candle can rest and now you have the perfect centerpiece for your Friendsgiving!