The Emotional Process of Changing Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

One of Cal Poly’s unique admissions features is the requirement to choose a major. While we all love Learn by Doing™, it makes changing majors so much harder to do. In a school where everyone seems to know what they want to do, realizing your major isn’t right for you can cause a whirlwind of emotions.

Maybe you’re failing classes. Maybe you’re doing fine in class but find yourself unsatisfied or bored. Maybe you dread having a career in this field and want to pursue something completely different. If you decide to opt out, doing research and talking to academic advisors are necessary steps to take ASAP. Unfortunately, changing your major isn’t always as simple as signing up for classes and fulfilling the change of major contract.

One of the first and worst feelings that can come from this is the fear of failure. This hits especially hard if you’re already struggling with classes or under an enormous amount of mental strain from them. Not succeeding your chosen field can weigh you down with thoughts of inadequacy. Even when switching majors seems like an obvious choice, it’s incredibly hard to accept this perceived failure.

Even after moving past that initial fear, changing majors can come with other trials. Prejudice and the perception of hierarchy can also cause major anxiety (pun absolutely intended). We have these ideas that certain majors and careers are better than others, primarily based on how much money you make or how easy it is to become successful. But like all stereotypes, these are limiting and inaccurate.

As a woman who went from majoring in Chemistry to studying English, I experienced quite a bit of stereotyping. For some, I fulfilled a certain expectation (“You look like an English major!” -like that makes any sense?) For others, my switch was seen as a downgrade. One acquaintance rolled his eyes in actual disgust after I told him about the literature classes I was taking that quarter. I hate to admit it but self-doubt began to creep in once again after that.

But the relief I felt when I dropped my Organic Chemistry lab, the joy in enrolling in Ancient Literature, reminded me why I switched at all. Before, I was more stressed than was healthy, and switching majors helped me realize that in hindsight. Listening to your instincts is totally nerve-wracking, but crucial. Trust yourself to know when your major is no longer right for you.

Changing majors is not failure. You are not your major. You are a person of many talents and strengths. Being in the wrong field can overshadow that, and fill you with anxiety about not being good enough. Recognizing that you want or need to switch majors may seem like you submit to that fear, but you do the opposite. You embrace the strength of change. And if you’re going to pay thousands of dollars in tuition to study, you might as well study something that satisfies you.

Valentina Sainato is a 5th year English major and Ethnic Studies minor at Cal Poly SLO. She loves to read, always having a book in hand. She's also a devoted dancer who knows 12 different styles, and runs the SLO swing dancing scene. When she isn't working as a writing tutor, you can find her at any coffee shop in town (probably reading) or trying her best at the gym. Valentina is thrilled to be a writer and the senior editor for Her Campus Cal Poly!
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.