The 7 Best Starbucks Drinks You Haven’t Tried

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As college students, we frequent Starbucks on the regular, many of us more than once a day. The thing about going daily though, is that everyone has their one or two drinks they always get. Well, it is time to branch out of your comfort zone and try these seven underrated Starbucks drinks.

1. Flat White

The newest drink at Starbucks is an American take on the Australian classic. This drink is sooo creamy and smooth—thanks to the expertly steamed whole milk—with a twinge of sweetness from the ristretto pulled espresso shots. If you don’t know what a ristretto espresso shot is compared to a normal espresso shot, consider your world rocked. Ristretto means that the espresso is brewed for a shorter amount of time. It’s made with less water, giving the espresso an ever-so-slight sweetness. Because the Flat White is not made with any sweetners or syrups, each size is made with an extra ristretto shot to add some extra sweetness to your life.

P.S. Don’t forget to take the lid off your cup before you sip and instagram the signature Starbucks foam art dot.

2. Cinnamon Dolce Latte

Espresso with steamed milk and cinnamon dolce syrup, topped with whipped cream and cinnamon dolce topping, is the perfect sweet treat to remind you of your grandma’s deliciously homemade snickerdoodles. To quote the brilliant T Swift, this drink has that “classic thing that you like” and will “never go out of style”. It is a Starbucks staple everyone should indulge in. And I bet you didn’t know that Dolce is Italian for “sweet”.

3. Espresso Con Panna

Italian for “espresso with cream”, an Espresso Con Panna is something a lot people might be nervous to try because the idea of just drinking a small cup of espresso doesn’t sound too appealing. But trust me when I say TRY IT. The dollop of whipped cream softens the rich espresso flavor, and you get all the caffeine you need without all that extra ‘whoo haa’ you get in a latte. Want a tip? Order it ‘upside down’ so the hot espresso shots  are poured on top of the whipped cream; it will blend together deliciously.

4. White Mocha Frappuccino®

Now, I know White Mocha is a standard hot drink everyone and their mom drinks, but have you ever tried it as a Frappuccino?? No??? Well, you SHOULD. It is seriously like drinking a heavenly cloud through a straw. The white chocolate is so buttery smooth and perfectly complements the rich coffee flavors in this deliciously blended drink.

5. Espresso Frappuccino®

Unlisted on the menu, but still available on the register, the Espresso Frappuccino® is a standard Coffee Frappuccino® but with an add shot of espresso. If you are not a fan of the previously mentioned ‘sweet treats’, the Espresso Frappuccino® will give you a delectable bold coffee experience in the form of everyone’s favorite blended drink. And for the truly bold? Ask for the shot of espresso to be Alfagoto (or ‘floating’) meaning it isn’t blended into the drink but instead poured hot on top of the Frappuccino® once in your cup.

6. Chai Crème Frappuccino®

Everyone loves a good Chai Tea Latte, but have you ever tried it blended? This drink is perfect for a day when you are craving a spicy chai, but don’t want to drink something hot when it’s already warm outside. The sweet and spice taste of chai tea is blended with milk, topped with whipped cream and sprinkled with cinnamon and is sure to lift even your worst mood. 

7. Valencia Orange Refresher™ 

Remember Tang, your favorite 90’s kid orange drink? Well, this is its new and improved cousin. The drink is made from three different types of oranges—Valencia, Clementine and Navel Orange—as well Green Coffee Extract to give you the perfect amount of a caffeine boost for your afternoon pick-me-up. Fair warning though… if you do not like Tang or anything Tang-y, you might not enjoy this one; instead opt for the Cool Lime or Berry Hibiscus Refresher™.

Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu