Yoga and Meditation: The Key to a Calm and Stress Free Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

The end of the semester is coming to a close and due dates for group projects, assignments and exams are getting closer and closer. This time of year is the most stressful because it’s finally nice out and school is the hardest thing to focus on. Sometimes you need to take a little time to focus on yourself. Yoga and meditation are great ways to relax and escape from the stressors of everyday life. I’m going to show you how to practice some of my favorite yoga poses. I’ll also give you tips on meditation.

Tree Pose: This pose in yoga focuses on maintaining balance. This is one of my favorites because it helps you concentrate and remain calm. If you’re not staying focused it is very easy to lose balance. You start by shifting all your weight to one foot and bending the other leg to the side while placing your foot on the side of your leg. You then place your hands in front of your heart and raise them above your head. Extending the arms above creates a great upward stretch while remaining balanced and focused. Don’t forget to breathe while practicing all yoga poses.

Warrior 1: Separate your legs and turn one foot out ahead and the other slightly turned with your body facing the front leg. Keep the front knee straight and stretch your back leg. Put both arms above your head parallel and look up. Keep your shoulders back and chest open. This pose helps your posture and gives your body strength.

Warrior 2: This pose is another one of my favorites. Warrior 2 is great to practice when you’re focusing on accomplishing a goal or aspiration. You start the same way as Warrior 1 with the front foot straight out and the back slightly turned. Making sure the front knee is straight, extend your arms in front of you and behind you pointing straight forward. Look ahead and concentrate on something you want to achieve or complete during that day or long-term. This pose keeps you aware and is an excellent stretch for your arms and legs.

Warrior 3: This position is somewhat similar to tree pose because they both focus on concentration and focus. The key to this pose is balance within the body. You start off by putting weight on one foot and lifting the opposite leg behind you while extending both arms directly in front of you. Keep the heel and toe of the foot firmly on the ground. You must concentrate while practicing this pose or you will lose your ground. This is the most difficult of the warrior poses because it combines strength and balance, which can be hard to achieve.

Meditation is also a very important thing to practice to free your mind and body. You don’t realize how great you feel after taking some time to yourself to meditate. You must be in a place that is calm and soothing. I love to light incense and candles while meditating because it helps me remain peaceful. Sit with your legs crossed one on top of the other and set your hands on top of your legs. Free your mind and focus on breathing. This is a time to let go of all your worries and be in the present. Focus on your breathing and relax. Meditation is a great way to escape from stress and to just simply be at peace.

Yoga and meditation are great ways to help deal with the pressure that comes along with school, work and everyday life. Especially with the semester coming to an end and all our exams and projects piling up, you need to take time to focus on yourself. Yoga and meditation will help you stay calm and happy while finishing off your long list of things to do for the end of the semester.  

Anna Harden is a senior at Central Michigan University majoring in Integrative Public Relations. She would love to eventually work in the music, promotions or entertainment industry doing Public Relations. Anna loves writing, music, films, television and all things social media!