Staying Safe on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

The news of Central Michigan’s most recent abduction and stabbing undoubtedly served as a wake-up call to college students across the state. It was Jan. 17, 2013 when a CMU female left the University’s Student Activity Center around 9:30 p.m. and was approached by a man named Eric Ramsey. He ordered the senior, at gunpoint, to drive them both to a second location where she was then sexually assaulted, and it wasn’t until later that the young woman saved her own life by making the decision to jump out of his moving vehicle. Arms bound, and one now broken, she was lucky enough to escape to a nearby home before her predator could continue his plan to kill her. The house she fled to was occupied by three children whose parents were at work, and Ramsey soon after covered the home with gasoline and lit the front on fire. The night ended with a chaotic police chase where Ramsey was eventually shot by a state sheriff. Miraculously, there was no severe harm done to the home, the victim, or the children. Still, it is tragedies such as this that demonstrate  how easy it is for any innocent individual to be the victim of an exceptionally dangerous and traumatizing crime; also emphasizing how imperative it is that all students are familiar with what can be done to stay safe on a college campus.

Universities stress that nobody should wander a campus alone-especially at night. This is an idea that should not be taken lightly, especially after the most recent abduction. Under the circumstance that an individual is alone, there are particular safety precautions that should be carried out. One of the most important ways to stay safe at any given time on a college campus is to remain aware of all surroundings. Most victims are those that are distracted or oblivious to any possible dangers nearby, in both daytime and night. As cliché as it may sound, trusting instincts makes a difference. If you begin to feel threatened or the sensation that someone is watching or following, do not let it go ignored. Examine the area you are located and continue on to a more open, public place. Even in the case that it’s only paranoia, there is no harm in directing yourself to a place where you feel more comfortable.

Carrying a key-chain sized pepper spray is always an option, although that doesn’t serve as an ideal weapon in all scenarios. What’s more important than being armed is that students traveling alone, or even with a friend, avoid secluded areas and take advantage of the safety tools provided for them. Universities including Central, U of M, State and Western all disperse outdoor emergency phones throughout their campuses. Taxis make themselves available to college students at all hours, cruising around the University’s property and normally charging no more than $3-$5 a ride. CMU is also one of the few schools that offer the Saferides program, which allows students to be given a free ride anywhere on campus from 8 p.m. until 1 a.m. Monday through Wednesday, extending their availability until 2 a.m. on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. With so many opportunities to stay safe on college campuses, there’s no excuse for students not to take precaution whether they are alone or not.  

Junior at Central Michigan University studying public relations and advertising. Lover of writing. Fire up!
Annie is a junior at Central Michigan University from Plymouth, Mi.  She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations with a minor in Leadership.  Annie is an active member in her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma holding numerous positions within the chapter.  She has a love for travel, food and pets and looks forward to an internship abroad Summer 2013.  Annie loves writing for Her Campus and cannot wait to see this chapter grow to be such a great success! :)