Campus Celebrity: Jordan Shroat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

May 2015 graduate, Jordan Shroat, has a bright future ahead as her journey at Central Michigan University comes to an end. Shroat, a Canton senior, has had many accomplishments during her four years in Mount Pleasant, and surely is leaving her mark on CMU’s campus.

Majoring in Social Services, with a minor in Leadership, Shroat has been involved within the CMU student community, Mount Pleasant and also the Alma community. She currently holds an internship at the nursing home in Alma, where she works three days a week in the dementia unit, specifically working with elderly adults suffering from mental disabilities. “I’ve been able to have the experience of working with elderly dementia patients and learn how their disease works. My appreciated for this population has grown through the many different residents I have met. They have given me a whole new perspective on life.” Working with elderly patients is something Shroat continues to involve herself in, even after graduation. She has a passion for this population, which has grown over her four years at CMU.

If that’s not enough, she also has found time to work as a bartender for over a year at the local Mount Pleasant bar, The Blackstone. Through her employment at The Blackstone, Shroat has been able to learn about the diversity and history in Mount Pleasant through the people she has met.

Aside from her incredible work experience, Jordan also has been involved with the social sorority on campus, Phi Sigma Sigma since Fall 2012. During her time as an active member in Phi Sigma Sigma, she has held the executive board position as the Panhellenic Representative. “As the Senior Panhellenic Council Representative, I had the opportunity to work with all the chapters on better not just our Greek community, but the CMU and Mount Pleasant Community as well.”

Jordan has also previously been involved with Leadership Safari, an optional orientation week for freshman at the beginning of their first year at college. She served as a Safari Guide in Fall 2013. She is also currently learning American Sign Language through a class at CMU, but has plans to continue after her class ends.

As her graduation date approaches, Shroat is excited and anxious to begin her future as a CMU alumnus. She recently found that she was one of few applicants that were accepted into the AmeriCorps program. While she is incredibly grateful for the opportunity, she has accepted a job at International Automotive Components in Royal Oak, Michigan starting immediately after graduation. She will be working as a Human Resources associate, as well as a Campus Representative. She has interned there for the past two summers, and is very excited for what her future holds after graduation.