Campus Celebrity: Gabi Medina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

With her schoolwork and leadership positions, junior Gabi Medina makes it all possible. Hailing from Illinois, Gabi is an advertising major with a minor in Spanish.  She is currently the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus C Mich. She is from Oswego, Illinois and hopes to return back to Chicago after graduation.  Gabi really enjoys fashion, watching sports, reading/writing along with a little bit of dancing. 

In January 2013, Gabi got involved and began writing for Her Campus.  An older member of her sorority had originally co-founded the chapter at C Mich and her interested began to flourish.  She said, “I have always enjoyed writing, so that it would be another way to get involved on campus aside from my sorority.”  Right off the bat she had taken on the position as junior editor.  The more she became active in Her Campus, the more she began to realized she wanted to take on a bigger role in the future. 

From junior editor, she had moved on to become senior editor all the way to last semester when she appointed the position as Vice President alongside the president, Katie Frankhart.  After working together with their new positions, their term was up and Gabi then began serving as the President of Her Campus this semester. 

While it had been a big adjustment from having a smaller position and then taking on the responsibility as president, Gabi shared it had taught her a lot about leadership.  Not to mention how much Lucy Ciaramitaro, Vice President of Her Campus C Mich, has help a tremendous amount.  Together they have grown a lot through holding this positions and hope to put into action the plans they have for the following semester. 

Aside from studying at CMU and being the president of Her Campus C Mich, Gabi is also apart of the in Phi Sigma Sigma sorority on campus.  She has been an active member since Fall 2012 and had previously served on the executive board as risk manager.

Going away to college can be a lot of change but for Gabi being a member of Phi Sigma Sigma helped her to come out of her shell.  Beginning with minor leadership roles, Gabi was prepared to take on a bigger position serving as the risk manager for her sorority.  Being risk manager has helped her specifically learn to handle conflict, make choices that will better her chapter and keep the well-being of her sisters at all time. 

Gabi said, “I have learned more than I thought was possible from this position, it has helped me in terms of leadership not just for my sorority, but in other aspects of my life, as well.”

It doesn’t stop there; Gabi is currently a Campus Rep Agent for Marie Claire Magazines as well as an associate stylist for Stella & Dot.  As a rep for Marie Claire, she works with sales and marketing for the company.  As a Stella & Dot, she hosts trunk shows displaying accessories sold by the company such as jewelry, handbags, wallets and scarves. 

Gabi has proved that she can handle her schoolwork, while still holding multiple leadership roles in the organizations that she is involved with. She hopes to use the skills that she has learned from these positions in her future.

Gabi is a junior from Chicago, Illinois studying Advertising with minors in Journalism and Spanish. She is an active member of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. Gabi is a sports fanatic, as well as a fashion enthusiast. She hopes to work in the fashion industry while living in the Windy City.