Ballin’ On A Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.
Just like any other college student, I’m broke. And when I do come across money, I manage to blow it on just about anything and everything in sight. This needs to end now. Finding ways to save money may sound like a difficult task to accomplish, especially in college, but there are several small tricks to try that could make a big impact. 

Limit how much you eat out
If you are anything like me, going out to eat with friends has become too much of a routine. Panera, Stan’s, Jimmy John’s and Dog Central ALL in one week really puts a dent on your bank account. Try to only allow yourself to eat out once or twice a week in order to save a little extra cash. Buying groceries and making your own meals is way more cost-effective and it is also way better for your health. 

Work hard, play hard
Although having a job in college is much easier said than done, nearly 4 out of 5 college students work part-time, so it must not be too hard. Businesses in college towns are usually pretty lenient about working around your school schedule- so get out there and try to find somewhere that would be willing to let you work a few days a week. Plus, it never hurts to have another job to add to your resume. 

Leave the plastic at home
The biggest money sucker of them all is the beloved credit card, especially when alcohol gets involved. Do not take your credit card to the bar, just don’t do it. If you only take cash with you, you can actually monitor the amount of money you spend at the bars or on late-night snacks. 

Sell your junk  
Remember the college algebra book collecting dust under your bed or the cardigan that your aunt got you for Christmas 2 years ago with the tags still on it? Get rid of it! There are plenty of people that are willing and able to pay for the things that you aren’t even putting to good use. Poshmark and Amazon are two great resources that will help you to exchange some of your old stuff for (much needed) cash. 

Budget, budget, budget!
Although budgeting can be quite boring and tedious, it is one of the most helpful tools for saving money. At the beginning of each month sit down and make a spreadsheet with your budget for the month. By doing this you will be able to see where you will need to save extra money and where you might have some flexibility to treat yourself. 

By trying out some of these tips and tricks you are guarenteed to preserve some money. Good luck!