10 Best Ways to Handle a Break-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Whether you’re the one dumped or the one doing the dumping, break-ups are never easy. It can be hard to get over that certain someone, so take a minute to check out some of these tips that are sure to help ease the pain of a recent heartbreak.

1. Don’t rush into a friendship with your ex

One of the hardest parts of breaking up is cutting off communication with someone you’re used to talking to on a daily basis. What’s worse? Trying to get over your ex when he’s still a close friend. Breaking up doesn’t mean you have to lose the person forever, but in order to move on its usually best that you and your ex get some space from each other. Try a friendship with him or her at a later time once you’ve both moved on- don’t rush it!

1. Give yourself time to be sad

Feeling sad, angry, frustrated or stressed after a nasty break-up? Don’t force yourself to play the happy-act.  Holding onto these unhappy emotions is bad for your mental health, so take a few days to cope with the break-up and let yourself express any negative feelings.

1. Surround yourself with friends and family

After giving yourself some much-needed personal space to deal with the un-happy feelings that overwhelm you as a result of a break-up, get together with some friends or family members and have a night of fun. Take a trip to the movies, have a game night, go out to dinner-do any fun activity that will help to get your mind off the ex for a while. Remind yourself who will always have your back, and surround yourself with the people you know you can have fun with no matter what!

1. Music helps!

No, it doesn’t have to be Taylor Swift you’re jamming to after a hard break-up. Whether it’s pop, rock, rap or techno, happy music can definitely do the job of helping to life a person’s spirits. Stick your headphones in on the way to class or while doing some homework, sing along to the songs you love most and help yourself enjoy some feel-good tunes.

1. Exercise

Working out is undoubtedly one of the best de-stressers that exists. Even if you’re not a hard core gym-junky, a little cardio is capable of releasing endorphins in the brain that help us to feel naturally happy. Along with this, it gives you a boost in energy and helps to speed up your metabolism. Exercising is a must, especially after a break-up!

1. Eat healthy

Before taking that spoonful of ice cream after a break-up, know this. Much like exercising, eating healthy releases the same hormones in the brain that act as a natural pain-reliever. The increase in energy is also a result of eating your fruits and veggies, so pick your meals carefully!

1. Try something new!

Out with the old, in with the new! Let go of the past and move forward onto bigger and better things. Let the break-up be an inspiration to try something you’ve always wanted to do- Charity work, a new club at school, anything that catches your attention.

1. Change your look

“Look good, feel good, do good.” Give yourself a fresh new appearance, it can boost self-confidence and serve as an inspiration to move forward from the break-up. Dye or cut your hair, even spoil yourself with a few new outfits. You’ll be looking hot and feeling ready to move on!

1. Focus on school

School work isn’t always the most fun break-up distraction, but it can be a great escape from the emotional rollercoaster of a break-up. Improving your grades will have you feeling accomplished and good about yourself, and you can’t let thoughts of your ex stop you from focusing on your education.  

1. No rebounds!

This goes for ladies and guys- getting out of a relationship is not an excuse to jump into another fling! It usually just postpones the process of getting over your ex, and there’s no sense taking the chance that you could hurt someone you aren’t necessarily interested in because at the end of the night, your past is on your mind.

Junior at Central Michigan University studying public relations and advertising. Lover of writing. Fire up!