This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Tuesday, September 23rd was National Voter Registration Day. As college students, the majority of us are legal adults with the ability to vote. It seems that every fourth of July, American teenagers and twenty-somethings put on cute American flag inspired outfits and take tons of Instagram pictures with the caption ” ‘Merica.” However, when it comes down to the American duty of voting, some millennials are reluctant to participate. I have heard many peers of mine declare with pride that they do not bother with politics. While one can argue that politics are corrupt, I argue that this is exactly why voting is necessary. If one believes that the current politicians in office are unfit for the job, that person should use their right and duty to vote in a new politician whom they believe will do better. If you are a person who chooses not to dabble in politics, I challenge you to start right now. I’m not saying that you have to watch C-SPAN or read the daily news. All I ask is that you register to vote.  

In 2014 registering to vote is easier than ever! You simply cannot say that you don’t have the time to register to vote when you can register within minutes. All you have to do is visit this link and type in your email address to get started. The voter registration form is secure, so you don’t need to worry about your information’s safety.  You may be asking yourself, “Why would I even bother voting?” Here are a few reasons why you (and all your friends) need to register to vote. 

1. You complain about politics. If you have ever once complained about politicians, you need to register to vote. If you do not like the way the current President, Secretary of State, or Governor is running things, get involved to make a change. Read up on officials who will represent your wants and get voting! 

2. Previous generations fought for your right to vote. Unless you are a white male, there is a great chance that you did not always have the right to vote. It was not until 1870 that the 15th amendment allowed black men to vote in the United States. Despite this amendment, loopholes such as poll taxes and literacy tests continued to deny black men their right to vote. The Voting Rights Act of 1965 finally assured citizens their right to vote, regardless of race. Furthermore, women were unable to exercise the right to vote until the 19th amendment was ratified in 1920. Your ancestors did not protest and fight for the right to vote just so you could pass on the opportunity. 

3. You get a cool sticker for voting. You get to rock your American pride with this bad boy after you place your vote. And I’m sure with the help of some filters, you’ll get a ton of likes on Instagram.  

4. Your vote decides your future. Elected officials get to make important decisions that will impact your life. Politicians tackle important topics such as taxation, the healthcare system, the education system, equal rights, international relations and so much more. If you want to take charge of your future, register to vote. 

Whatever you political affiliation, get registered and get voting! Your voice matters; let it be heard. 

Catherine Yetman is a sophomore from New Jersey. She loves yoga and spending her free time at the beach. She is studying psychology at the College of Charleston in hopes of becoming a psychologist one day.
Originally from West Virginia, Tori Williams is a senior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina majoring in Communication, and minoring in International Studies and Dance. Tori is currently the editor-in-chief and a featured writer for the Her Campus CofC chapter, as well as an editorial intern with Charleston Magazine. She also dances with Dance FX Charleston's performance company and through the College of Charleston. When she's not busy, Tori loves to read, run, and do hot yoga. She hopes to someday be an editor and writer for a big time magazine.