books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Starting the Semester Right: 5 Useful Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

1.  Have a Normal Sleep Schedule

Christmas break put us in the habit of staying up way too late celebrating the holidays with friends and family, and allowed us to sleep in until noon the next day. This sleep pattern will become troublesome when classes start, because your body won’t be used to getting up earlier and your mind won’t be able to focus. Make an effort to fix your Christmas break sleeping pattern so that you’ll be good to go for your first week of class. This will help keep you alert for all the important information you’ll need to take in as classes begin. Even syllabus day can be crucial in college!

2.  Maintain a Healthy, Balanced Diet

After a month of homemade meals and Christmas goodies it will be hard going back to cafeteria food on campus. Your parents won’t be around anymore to make sure you’re getting all of your fruits and veggies, so it’ll be your job to monitor yourself. Don’t fall in to bad eating habits at the start of the semester. Make sure you have healthy options available for late night snacks, and perhaps try and limit your Starbucks purchases. Having a healthy, balanced diet won’t only make you feel significantly better, but it will also allow your mind and body to stay energized. This is something that will be necessary as a new semester begins.

3.  Start a Routine

Getting back in the swing of things can be difficult as the semester starts off, but planning a daily or weekly routine can help you do just that. Decide what days you’ll need to get up early and what days you can give yourself more time to rest. Figure out when your schedule allows you the time to exercise or go to the gym. Determine what classes will call for more or less work than you are used to. Having a set routine will help you better manage your time and start off the semester in a positive way.

4.  Give Your Best Effort

Some students take advantage of the first few weeks of class and don’t think paying attention is necessary for the start of the semester. Starting off by being attentive and taking good notes can end up benefitting you in the long run when the semester progresses. It will also keep you from panicking at the end when finals come around and your grades are not where you’d like. Start off on the right foot to avoid scrambling at the end. It’ll be worth it!

5.     Maintain Healthy Relationships

Whether it is family at home, a significant other, or a roommate, maintaining healthy relationships is always a good way to start a new year and a new semester. Keep in touch with loved ones back home, have cute date nights, and think about your words before you speak them when it comes to a difficult roommate. Having positive relationships allows negativity to be removed from your life, and helps keep you focused on what really matters. How you choose to treat others is a direct reflection of who you are as a person. Keep that in mind as you start 2014 and your spring semester. A little kindness goes a long way!

Originally from West Virginia, Tori Williams is a senior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina majoring in Communication, and minoring in International Studies and Dance. Tori is currently the editor-in-chief and a featured writer for the Her Campus CofC chapter, as well as an editorial intern with Charleston Magazine. She also dances with Dance FX Charleston's performance company and through the College of Charleston. When she's not busy, Tori loves to read, run, and do hot yoga. She hopes to someday be an editor and writer for a big time magazine.