FLOTUS Explains Her Let Girls Learn Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

If you haven’t seen it yet, there’s a website that will send you daily emails about all the news you need to catch up on so you don’t look clueless about the world. theSkimm.com is a fast and simplified way to get up to date on everything going on in the world around you.

If that’s not enough to get you to check out theSkimm, this past week, Michelle Obama made an appearance when she answered questions about her new Let Girls Learn project. This new government initiative is aimed to help young girls complete their schooling with the help of Peace Corps Volunteers. The First Lady went into all the details about the upcoming project, and why she is so passionate about it. Obama said, “many girls have the spark of something extraordinary in them, but that spark is snuffed out because of the norms of their communities or the circumstances of their birth.”

Obama’s “Skimm” aims to make more apparent the reasons behind this project and why it should even matter to us when we are so far away form the issue. As she points out, “[these girls] are just as smart, curious and ambitious as I was growing up, but I got to go to school, and they don’t.”

For more information on Michelle Obama’s recent interview and the Let Girls Learn project, check out theSkimm newsletter from Tuesday, March 17th and the The White House website

Camila is a freshman at the College of Charleston, SC and a member of Delta Gamma. She plans to major in Marketing with a double minor Spanish and Communications. She is obsessed with any variation of mac and cheese and tweets often to the dismay of her followers. She loves puns and shopping and plans to severely deplete her savings account in the next four years on King St.