The Eternal Conflict

Posted -

Spring break is fast approaching and if you’re anything like me, that diet/workout plan that you meant to start like a month ago, has yet to begin. Here’s the thing, though, I’m not sure how much I actually care.

I’m at this weird point in my journey to self love and acceptance where I switch back and forth between these two moods constantly:

1. THE BEACH WILL GET WHATEVER BOD I GIVE IT (eats at least 20 chicken nuggets in one sitting).

1. My body is a temple and I’m only gonna eat pears and dirt and do yoga every day (does lots of yoga and wears flowy pants).

It’s a problem. I can never actually make up my mind when it comes to going on a diet or working out, or even frickin loving myself.

On one hand, I’m in a constant state of “fuck the patriarchy, I’m gonna eat cake for every meal and be happy with the way I look” Then like two hours later, I’ll lay on the floor and cry ‘cus I hate the size of my jeans. It’s exhausting.

This spews from me having the attention span of a fucking two year old in a TJMaxx (thanks ADHD).

So here’s where I’m at: I’m a healthy(ish) 19 year old with more sarcasm than necessary, I’m very average looking, kinda short, average build, etc. Some days I love myself, other days I ponder just why I exist if I’m going to be so damn miserable all the time. I’ve tried practically everything in the books to lose some weight, but I just don’t have the persistence, nor the determination to make anything happen.

I’ll work out and eat really healthy for like three days, spot a piece of cheesecake, and loudly express my distaste for social norms and pants sizes while shoving the entire thing into my mouth.

It’s a vicious cycle that I kinda feel like runs every aspect of my life? Who knows, this is getting too deep. I gotta bounce before I start getting emotional.

For realz though, if anyone has any tips for breaking cycles of this nature, pls let me know.

Exercise or extra fries?????

About The Author

I'm a quirky Chiagoan with a love for iced coffee, my dog, and writing. I'm a current sophomore at Butler Universtiy studying journalism and strategic communications.

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login