Bachelor Arie is So Boring I’ve Transcended to Another Plane of Existence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

Maybe I’ve been spoiled. My Bachelor franchise experience began last season when men competed for the heart of the beautiful, competent, hilarious, compelling, intriguing Rachel Lindsay. She met lots of different, intriguing, sweet men she truly connected with, only to choose the one who sucked face with her on day one (Yeah, still bitter about Peter).

However, am I wrong to make the observation that Arie Ludendyk Jr. is an incredibly boring-ass dude?

The dialogue of the show really emphasizes his career as a racecar driver, a risk taker. Perhaps the showrunners have done this to make up for the fact that Arie has the personality of a milkless bowl of Cheerios?

There’s a very weird and fine line between the things he will and won’t put up with from the girls. Like, Chelsea’s attempt at foul play was fine…

…but not Bibiana making it known that she was upset.

He’s cool with the age difference between him and resident quirky pixie-cut girl Bekah…

..but not other girls outwardly expressing their individual quirks, like Annaliese’s multiple childhood traumas.

And can we talk about what a big deal he makes out of not kissing some girls, but then goes HARD sucking face with others?

Maybe this is just one example of all the Bachelors in general. Maybe it’s representative over how this show, or how the media in general, glorifies (white) men for doing the absolute bare minimum of not being a jerk and wanting a “real” relationship.

I should give Arie the benefit of the doubt, though. He’s probably a perfectly normal, well-adjusted man… I mean, as well-adjusted as anyone who’s dating 20 girls at once can be.

Maybe he’s very complicated and can hold a good conversation, but his actions are limited by what producers say is acceptable behavior for a Bachelor.

Until we see that, I will continue to believe that these perfectly nice, beautiful, interesting individuals are too good for Arie.

Except for Krystal. She’s a terrible person with the heart of a Disney villain and the voice of a sexual baby.

Kait Wilbur is an aggressively optimistic individual obsessed with sitcoms, indie music, and pop culture in general. She hails from Manito, a rural wasteland in Illinois so small and devoid of life that she took up writing to amuse herself. Kait goes to Butler University to prepare for a career in advertising, but all she really wants to do is talk about TV for a living. You can find her at any given moment with her earbuds in pretending to do homework but actually looking at surrealist memes.
Jazmine Bowens is a senior at Butler University. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Neuroscience and the Campus Corespondent for Butler University's Her Campus chapter. When she isn't in class, she's writing poetry, reading romance novels, or hanging out with her friends. Jazmine hopes to one day become an environmental lawyer and a published novelist.