Black Lives Matter, Starbucks Cups, The Paris Attacks, and The Syrian Refugees

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

To say the least, looking back on this semester and the news past couple of months, I am frightened by the state of our world as a whole. In this past semester we’ve been shown the prevalence of institutional racism, horrors of terrorism, and how unimportant a human life is to the system.

To be honest we didn’t ask to know this much about current events, I think if it was up to us we would stay ignorant on issues that doesn’t directly affect us.

Unfortunately and fortunately, we have been bombarded with information on our campus, both true and false. We have been exposed to news on all forms of social media, once again, some true and some false.

Not only are the world’s problems such as vile human rights violations, hunger and poverty are still persisting- the world is adding on to our poor conditions with abhorrence filled reactions and violence spurred from hate.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not surprised at the events that have taken place all over the world (Civil war in Syria, Terrorist attacks all over the world, etc), for I do not struggle in understanding that there will always be people that do incomprehensible and gruesome things. BUT, What terrify me the most are people’s reactions to these events.

I am on every social media ( Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat etc) so, I am exposed to my peer’s immediate opinions. Overall, I do not know which is worst; to not care about these issues or to react to this hate with hate.

As students on our campus, it is our responsibility to be well informed and active. We must critically analyze information given to us and take everything in with a grain of salt.

Looking back on the past month I feel nothing but sorrow for the human race as a whole.

I keep asking myself, “Who will save us now?” And my only answer – my only solution is- US. As the educated youth that partake in activities on our campus it is our job to save us. It is up to us as the youth on our campus to prioritize our time to educate ourselves of the truths of these issues and stand with those that need us. It is up to us to worry on sleepless nights and with a kind heart contribute to those areas that need our contributions. It is up to us to not get discouraged by the overwhelming population that harms the world and to firmly know that everything we do makes a difference.

And then maybe, the world will know peace.

Critical thinker. The goal is to have an open and honest discussion. Nothing is unquestionable. If I made you think twice about something I have done my job!