This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

There’s nothing more beautiful then wearing your hair all natural and letting your curls be large and in charge. But, let’s be real for a second ladies, there are so many struggles that go along with having thick curls. The other day I was explaining to my friend with pin straight hair my process that I go through with my curls in the morning. As I was describing it to her, it was honestly like I was explaining a completely different lifestyle, so here’s a list of big thick natural curly hair problems that we can all relate to.

1.    Not being able to brush your hair unless it’s wet and even then only brushing it sometimes.  2.    Having your friends with straight hair ask you why you can’t brush your hair when it’s dry. (Because if I did brush my dry hair I would look like a poodle)

3.    Having more leave in conditioners and coconut oil than any other person you know. 4.    Your shower ratio: 1 drop of shampoo= ½ bottle of conditioner 5.    When it’s humid out and your hair grows so big that it has its own gravitational pull.  6.    Never truly knowing how long your hair actually is. 7.    Losing so much hair in the shower that it looks like someone shaved his or her entire head. 8.    Waking up to major bedhead so big that not even a hat can save you.

9.    Breaking hair ties on hair ties on hair ties.  10.    Jumping into the water and not having your hair get entirely wet immediately. 11.    Hating the girls that say they have big curly hair when it’s wavy at best. If you can’t put a pencil in it and have it stay in place, it doesn’t count as thick and curly #sorrynotsorry  12.    Constantly having people ask if they can touch your hair. (No…. no you can’t)

If you have real curly hair, you can relate to any of these struggles. But embrace your thick hair girl. When it comes to natural curls, the bigger the better. No one else has hair like you, love it, twirl it, and rock it. 

I am a sophomore and Communications major here at the University at Buffalo. I was editor of my high school newspaper, was a research intern at the Radler Foundation located in Fort Worth, Texas, and wrote many articles for Todd Hobin's new website. I'm very into music, movies, and media and am very happy to be a part of the Her Campus community!