Upcycling!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

Hey Ladies! I think you all are familiar with the term recyling…and now there’s this new term “upcycling”. For those of you unfamiliar with the term upcyling it’s basically the same as recycling but more geared toward recycling old clothing. Upcyling is the act of taking old clothing and turning it in to something new to wear. How fun is that?! I know a lot of you may have old clothes you no longer wear so I’m going to teach you something fun to do so you can save some money and put your old clothes to use for this summer.

I know a lot of you are on pinterest and pinterest gives you so many cool ideas for diy (do it yourself) activites which is where I got the idea for this upcycling task for myself. St Patty’s was approaching and I had gotten a new shirt but it didn’t fit exactly how I would have liked and I remembered a friend sent me an image of a t-shirt that was upcycled.

The first thing you want to do it pick a t-shirt you would like to upcycle. Once you’ve done that the next thing you want to do it cut the band around the neck off, cut the sleeves off, cut 1/4 of the sides off of the bottom portion of the shirt leaving a triangular portion in the middle of the shirt and once you’ve done that you want to cut down that triangular portion of the shirt. The final step would be to of course tie the newly cut triangular portions of the shirt so that you have a bow in the front and in the back and then you have your newly created old shirt! The best part about this is that it’s cheap and you can do it to any shirt you haven’t warn. You could even take your males friends shirts and make them girly for yourself  ;)

Brittany Windham is a Senior at Buffalo State College in Buffalo, NY. She is studying Fashion Design with a concentration in Apparel Design. She is a New York City native with a love for the arts and anything that allows her to express her creativity. She is a published poet and a member of the Chi Alpha Epsilon Honors Society. She has worked alongside artist, designers, and students in New York City to promote environmental awareness through art with her participation in Digital Day Camp through the Eyebeam team. She is currently a member of the Orange Crush team on her campus and she one day aspires to have her own online store which recycles and reuses old accessories and clothing to create new ones.