Tanya Campbell: Powerful Woman Leader

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

Tanya’s Quote to Live By: “I am willing to walk through a tunnel as long as I see light at the end of it.” —Unknown

Tanya Campbell is one of those girls you will meet in your lifetime and you are in awe at how amazing they are and how involved they are in campus. Tanya is that girl that is at every club meeting. She is that girl you see at every event. She is everywhere! For a small girl she is doing big things that you would wish to accomplish in your lifetime and she has been doing this in her 20 years of her existence. This is the reason why Tanya is this week’s Campus Celebrity.

With Tanya being an Electrical Engineering/Technology major with a minor in Painting, she has a big workload on her shoulders but she doesn’t let that stop her from being fully encompassed on campus. Tanya is currently the President of one of Buffalo State’s well known organizations on campus, NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers) where she takes on the leadership role with elegance and class. Tanya loves being a part of NSBE stating “I love NSBE because there is a lot of opportunity in it and everybody can join no matter what race, gender, or major they are. I’m grateful for my involvement in the group because I enjoy the business aspect and family atmosphere that NSBE has. It makes me feel like I have second home and it has helped me grow as an individual.”

Tanya is also involved in CSTEP (Collegiate Science Technology Entry Program) which is a club on campus that helps science majors on campus to find scholarships, it also provides a form of guidance by giving out different programs and seminars that will benefit students and help them get into graduate schools.  Tanya is also a member of SPIRIT Gospel Choir, BAM (Black Active Minds) as well as PASO (Pan African Students Organization) a well known club on campus that teaches students about Africa and its culture and heritage. Tanya stated “While I just started by becoming a member, I love PASO because they bring a different element to the table and they teach you the different aspects of Africa and I love to learn. I find that very intriguing and I take in the culture as a rich story being told right in front of me.”

On her spare time, Tanya loves to volunteer. One of her recent volunteer services was “A Walk for Education” at Syracuse University which was an afternoon with the community kids at Asarese Community Center and building a haunted house on community service day.  Tanya stated “I always felt it was necessary to give a little bit of what you have to those who are in need. That is why I find community service so effective because you are collectively working with others to make your neighborhood a better place.”

Tanya is your overall well rounded girl that works to achieve something great. She gets involved in everything and throws herself into any task that is set in front of her. Tanya Campbell is a leader that has a shining light of achieving and it will never die out.

Kimberly Drummond is a senior Public Communication major at SUNY Buffalo State College. Being from Brooklyn, NY she always had a love for city lights. She enjoys writing, reading, photography, and the occasional curling up to a glossy fashion magazine now and then.