Women in Entertainment Making Moves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Women in Hollywood are making waves. Whether it be through shattering the glass ceiling or the #TimesUp movement, they’re making sure they’re being heard and that they’re here to stay. In honor of Women’s History month, here are a few badass directors, producers and studio heads that are making an impact in the entertainment industry.

1. Ava DuVernay – Director

Ava DuVernay is a force to be reckoned with. The powerhouse behind the Oscar Nominated film Selma and documentary 13th, DuVernay is a champion of social justice. She recently made history with A Wrinkle in Time by being the first woman of color to ever direct a movie with a budget of over $100 million, the first of 335 films with that budget.

2. Catt Sadler – Talk Show Host

After two decades working for E! News, Catt Sadler decided enough was enough when she found out her male co-host made nearly twice as much as her despite working for the network for the same amount of times doing practically the same job. By quitting, she followed her fellow females in entertainment by saying #TimesUp by choosing not to accept the status quo of unequal pay for women. In her blog post detailing her decision, she said:

“How can I operate with integrity and stay on at E if they’re not willing to pay me the same as him? Or at least come close? How can I accept an offer that shows they do not value my contributions and paralleled dedication all these years? How can I not echo the actions of my heroes and stand for what is right no matter what the cost? How can I remain silent when my rights under the law have been violated?”

3. Stacey Snider – Chairman of 20th Century Fox

The only woman to be the head a large Hollywood film studio, Snider came into the position summer of 2016 and has established herself from her predecessors through deals such as a multi-year deal with the Russo Brothers and the acquisition of Technoprops. She joined a studio with other strong female executives such as Emma Watts and Elizabeth Gabler. When asked if she was ever at odds with the two, she dismissed the idea and the question by saying “I don’t think there’s ever an issue about how many receding hairline men there are at a company. You’d never make that comment, but the idea of girls pulling each other’s hair and getting into a catfight is a familiar trope. I resist it. I deny it.”

4. Patty Jenkins – Director

If you haven’t heard of Patty Jenkins by now, you’re probably living under a rock. She was the second woman to ever direct a movie with a budget of over $100 million and the first female to helm a superhero film, Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman was heavily praised by audiences and critics alike for its empowering feminist themes and smart direction. She shattered the glass ceiling that was held in place for far too long and changed the game for DC movies.

5. Bonnie Hammer- Chairman of NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment

A BU graduate, Hammer has been the chairman of NBCUniversal since 2013 and oversees nearly all of the cable group’s programming over multiple networks including USA, Syfy, and E!. Under her leadership, USA has achieved the record-setting #1 basic cable position for six years. She also recently announced that she’s relaunching “Erase The Hate” campaign that she had spearheaded two decades ago during her tenure at USA Network; The campaign focuses on fighting against discrimination.

6. Megan Ellison – Producer, founder of Annapurna Pictures

Megan founded her production company, Annapurna Pictures, in 2011 at the young age of 26. Starting off as an independent producer and financier, she quickly upped her credentials in a short span of time, producing Zero Dark Thirty, Joy, True Grit, Detroit, Phantom Thread and other notable titles.

7. All 80+ Harvey Weinstein accusers

The most notable catalyst for the #MeToo and #TimesUp movement started with an article by New York Times journalists Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, who detailed how Harvey Weinstein committed, and subsequently hid, sexual harassment for decades. What followed was a wave of women coming forward not only against him but other sexual abusers in Hollywood, demanding their voices be heard. These women and their supporters are changing Hollywood for the better. They are demanding a more equal and inclusive workplace and declaring that #TimesUp on gender inequality, sexism, and sexual harassment.

This list is a just a small sampling of all the powerful women in Hollywood at the moment. Joining them are numerous actresses, agents, managers, directors, cinematographers, and more that are making their impact in their respective fields. Now, with the changing tides in Hollywood following the #TimesUp movement, women are set to make an even bigger splash in the upcoming years. So watch out world, here they come.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.