What to Wear to Work or an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ok, so you finally got that sweet job/internship you’ve been hoping for, now the question is what do you wear? Work wear can be a murky genre, misperceived as the land of dark and boring, but this doesn’t  have to be the case. Business casual clothing should project confidence and competence so the fit of clothing is crucial when shopping for work wear. A trouser or skirt is a good way to start any outfit for work, and I would suggest going with a neutral color. Remember, neutral does not mean just black – navy and shades of tan, brown,  and grey also make viable options – and so do subtle prints, like pinstripes. A blouse in a solid color or gentle print, like stripes or a floral pattern, that coordinates with the bottom is perfect.  Blouses and button down shirts are a great place to add a pop of color like cobalt or melon. More dimension and versatility can be achieved by a blazer or cardigan while details like pins, scarves, and jewelry add interest and individuality. For example, the classic pairing of a button down shirt and grey trousers can instantly be upgraded with a blush cardigan (currently obsessed with this color) and a long multi-pendant necklace.
[ pagebreak ]

Dorthy Perkins $62

[ pagebreak ]

Oasis Stores $60

[ pagebreak ]

Nasty Gal $58

Ashley Rossi is a sophomore at Boston University studying Magazine Journalism and Mass Communication. After living in a small town for most of her childhood she looked towards the city for an exciting adventure. At BU Ashley has volunteered with the Community Service Center and written for various publications, including The Buzz and College Fashionista. Her goal is to eventually run the creative department for any major fashion magazine or international design house. Ashley also blogs daily on her blog, Gossip, Chanel, and English Tea on Tumblr. In the meantime she enjoys relaxing on the beach, watching Gossip Girl and Weeds, and reading the next Lauren Weisberger novel.