This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Why did I decide to try a menstrual cup? For one I feel that “tampon tax” as it’s been called is extremely sexist and unfair, and I wanted to take a stand against it. I also wanted to stop supporting the whole industry of feminine hygiene products. It is made up mainly of giant corporations that monetize a basic biological function of women who get periods. I wanted to stop spending extra money on tampons every month.

I was attracted to menstrual cups because they are a one time purchase that lasts for many periods. You only need one, and don’t have to worry about having tampons or pads with you. They are also much less wasteful and more environmentally friendly than their disposable counterparts.

There are tons of options for menstrual cups in all different shapes and sizes but I decided on the Diva Cup because it was the one I’d heard the most about. The company that makes them is run by a mother and daughter team who preach women’s empowerment and a positive relationship with our period.

I ordered it on Amazon and when it came in the mail, I was a little surprised at how large and thick it was. It is not as pliable as I thought it would be and I was sure it would be hard to insert and painful when it was in. However, I folded it into a cone shape as it said to on the instructions and it was actually pretty easy to insert.

It didn’t hurt while I was wearing it but I could definitely feel it at first. It sort of made me feel like I had to pee, but after a little while I forgot about it and couldn’t feel it.

The instructions also say to turn it one full turn after inserting in order to make sure it is properly sealed. I tried but just couldn’t get a good grip and it was impossible to turn. I just hoped for the best and it turned out to be sealed anyway.

I was surprised at how little blood was in it when I went to change it after a couple of hours. I could definitely leave it for longer than I normally do a tampon. I was really happy with it and decided to give it a try overnight. It worked perfectly, no leaks or discomfort, except when I went to remove it in the morning. It was stuck! It seemed like it had moved further in during the night and I could not get a good enough grip on the stem to take it out. I went and made myself tea and then tried again. Eventually I was able to get it out but was left a bit traumatized.

I still love the idea of no longer being reliant on huge companies that exploit women by making us pay for the basic right not to bleed all over ourselves. Even though it wasn’t a perfect transition, I will certainly try again. Maybe I’ll get a different brand or figure out a way to make the Diva Cup work.

Of course I support women who get periods doing whatever makes them most comfortable and happy during that time of the month. But I’d definitely encourage women to at least give them a try because hopefully if enough of us do, we can help make the world a better place.

Giana Grimaldi is the Integrated Marketing Director at Her Campus Media, overseeing client services and campaign execution for leading national brands across the company’s digital, experiential and community platforms. Prior to joining Her Campus Media, Giana assisted with the development and implementation of several PR campaigns in the energy, financial services and nonprofit sectors as an Account Coordinator on the Public Relations team at Rasky Partners. Giana attended Boston University, where she studied Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and was also a chapter president of Her Campus at BU. Giana loves all things music, social media, food, and reality TV. When she's not at work, you can find her at the gym, watching Netflix, making the perfect Spotify playlist, or spending hours scrolling through TikTok videos. Follow her on Instagram @_gianamaria.