A Tribute to Lilly Pulitzer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As a public relations major, I love to study brands inside and out. I love analyzing the way they interact with their community, the various social media tactics they use and any other aspects that allow them to move from just another brand to one where I feel a personal connection. Some brands create quality clothing, some have great store design, but every once in a while there is a brand that touches your heart and inspires something greater. At this time, I’d like to pay tribute to Lilly Pulitzer, a woman who turned her flaws into opportunities and made the world just a bit more colorful.

If you aren’t familiar with the brand, Lilly Pulitzer is the epitome of everything perfect and preppy – and her life is somewhat of an American fairytale. Lilly Pulitzer Rousseau was born into American royalty on November 10th, 1931. The New York socialite attended the Chapin School in New York City where she befriended Jacqueline Lee (better known as Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, who would later launch the brand into the public eye after sporting one of Lilly’s dresses in a photo spread for Life magazine). After high school she attended Finch College in New York, but left after one semester to work as a housewife. In 1950, she eloped with Herbert (Peter) Pulitzer Jr., grandson of Joseph Pulitzer. As the Lilly Pulitzer website states, “When 21-year-old Lilly eloped with Peter Pulitzer they escaped the hustle and bustle of New York City for the sun and sand of Palm Beach. In the shadow of Peter’s citrus groves, Lilly opened a juice stand. To disguise the juice stains on her clothing, she had a sleeveless dress made from colorfully-printed cotton.” It still amazes me that her entire brand was created from trying to cover up fruit stains – could her story be any cuter?

Although I love the quality, colors and designs of Lilly Pulitzer products I think it is Lilly herself that brought about my obsession with the brand. I love looking up quotes and Lilly Pulitzer is full of so many great ones. There is one quote from Lilly that I believe encompasses the brand perfectly.  It goes: “The Lilly girl is always full of surprises. She lives everyday like it’s a celebration. Never has a dull moment, and makes every hour a happy hour.”

In our demanding world, it is easy to feel overwhelmed or as if there isn’t enough time in the day. I believe that as a brand and more importantly as a woman, Lilly Pulitzer invited us to enjoy the bright, colorful and happy moments each day brings. She threw parties barefoot in Palm Beach and started her business by trying to disguise fruit stains. Her optimistic and fun attitude is one I hope to duplicate and why I believe I fell so in love with the brand. Let’s be honest, who wouldn’t want to hang out with her?

Although Lilly passed away on April 7th 2013, her brand and legacy will live on for years to come. Thank you for inspiring us to be classy, be unique and make the best of every situation. The life you lead impacted so many and you will certainly be missed.

“That’s what life is all about: Let’s have a party. Let’s have it tonight.” – LP

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."