This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

There are college students who enjoy writing, and those who dread it. Regardless of your chosen major, the majority of universities require their students to enroll in one, if not multiple, writing classes. Before transferring to Boston University, I took a year-long writing class at Emerson College. The first semester I participated in Introduction to College Writing. The second semester then segwayed into Research Writing. It became apparent early on that as college students, we will all be tasked with writing a research paper at least once in our university career.

Research papers can be daunting, namely because they require an extra component that close readings, analysis, and similar categories don’t utilize- the research. Filtering through the wealth of knowledge others have provided, however, doesn’t have to be cumbersome. Below, I list a few strategies that hopefully transform your research process from a challenge into a skill-set.

1) Schedule a research session.

Approach your paper with the understanding that research is a critical tool used in support of your thesis. You cannot sit down to write with the expectation that sources can be located and analyzed within a few minutes. Instead of planning to conduct your research and writing within the same time period, set aside an alternative session for accumulating your sources. Once you have gathered the information you need and pinpointed how it will contribute to your paper, start writing at a later date. Your mind will be fresh and alert.

2) Pick a source type.

Distinguish the type of sources that will be beneficial to your argument. Perhaps you have selected a topic that can be boosted with statistical data. On the other hand, your thesis might garner strength from news stories, video sources, or academic articles. Often research requires a holistic approach, in which the writer draws on sources from across the spectrum. Before you actually start researching, decide what type of source will best support your thesis, and then start the search process.

3) Annotate.

Note taking whilst filtering through a plethora of articles seems tedious. But when it comes time to start writing, your annotations will clarify the reason behind the initial selection of that source. You won’t have to reread the entire article or reanalyze pages of mathematical data. Annotations are reminders of the source’s importance to your thesis and catalysts for the incorporation of that source into your paper.

4) Organize.

Once you have stockpiled all the sources you wish to use, outline how these sources will enter into your paper. Establish specifically why a source strengthens your point, where it fits in the chain of your argument, and from there, the order in which you will weave the sources into the entirety of the paper. Organizing prior to writing allows your thought process to flow in a more steady manner and you will write incisively and efficiently.

5) Cite as you go.

Each time you zero in on a source you will undoubtedly utilize, cite it. Few feelings rival the exhaustion of concluding that final sentence, only to realize an entire bibliography remains unwritten. If you immediately cite a chosen source, then upon finishing your paper, your citation page will essentially be built. Only minor details such as alphabetizing are left to account for.

6) Stay up to date.

Depending on your subject, it is crucial to present updated information. Understandably, if you are writing about a topic like World War I or the Civil Rights Movement, then you will likely draw on testimony or data from those eras. But if your paper pertains to a modern affair, validate that your information is prevalent and up to speed with current contexts. Implementing aged data or outdated material will hinder your argument and reduce your credibility as a writer.

7) Use credible sources.

Similarly, draw on knowledge and facts from reliable sources. Beginning the research process, we often possess a repertoire of sources we know we can rely on for correct and concise material. But in the spirit of remaining cautious, if an article displays a hyperlinked factoid or statistic, click it, and decide whether or not the original source is a credible provider.

8) Ask for help.

Research doesn’t mean sitting down with your laptop to painstakingly hop from JSTOR to EBSCOhost to ProQuest. It is guaranteed that your college’s library has trained researchers ready and willing to assist in your search. Embark on an adventure to your library prepared to summarize your topic and type of documentation you require. Whoever you encounter for help is sure to locate at least one source capable of supporting your thesis.

9) Enjoy the process.

Don’t perceive research as an irritation but as a project, you can tailor to your interests. Even if writing is not your strong suite, research can be the stage of the writing process that becomes an enjoyment. Look for sources that pique your interest, or that will remain largely undiscovered unless you unearth them. Feel proud of your findings and the diligence you displayed in your efforts. These sources and the manner in which they are used will become the foundational evidence of your thesis.

Research papers demand time and energy we are frequently reluctant to put forth. But if you must tackle a research paper, immerse yourself in the process instead of fighting against it. You will finish faster and turn in an excellently crafted document.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emilee is a BU alumni from Charleston, South Carolina. She graduated with a BA Latin American Studies and a minor in Comparative Literature.  In addition to writing for Her Campus she enjoys reading, grabbing coffee with friends, and playing in the snow. She takes frequent trips to Ontario- the home of her family and grew up riding horses. Her favorite show is New Girl and she sees every day as an opportunity to pet a new dog. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.