Securing a Spring Internship in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Although it may seem far away, Spring 2014 is right around the corner. Some companies’ internship deadlines have already passed, and some companies have even completed their hiring process for the semester. However, if you haven’t gotten started on the application process – now is when you should start. Don’t fret–you still have time!

First, start out with a list of companies you would like to work at. If you don’t know where you’d like to work visit the Career Center or the CareerLink, or speak with an advisor to get some information and guidance about good internships to take on. BU’s Center for Career Development website also has tons of information on places that are looking to hire and recruiting right on BU’s campus.

Once you have your list of places, figure out deadlines. Most places will have deadlines around November, so begin making a calendar for yourself on when you should submit your cover letters and resumes. Call or browse on the company’s website to find specific dates or details about applying. Is the internship coordinator’s email address on there? Great! Send an email to introduce yourself. This will be a great way for whoever is hiring to get to know a little bit about you before you submit your resume.

Before you submit your resume and cover letter make sure that both are organized. Be clear about which company you are sending the documents to. Be specific about why you would like an internship at “X” company. What can the company offer to you? What will you learn from the internship? Outline your goals, strengths, and skills. Be sure to make quite the impression and let the company know why you’d be a great asset to their team. BU’s CCD can help you create the perfect resumes and cover letters.

By December, you might be itching for a decision. Again, kindly send an email to your contact at the company. Remind them that you are still interested in the position, and reiterate a bit of what you wrote about in your cover letter. Thank them for their time and offer your phone number and email as your contact.

There are still tons of spring internships out there! The sooner you start, the more opportunities you will have! So do your research and start applying. Good luck! 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.