Parent’s Weekend: Where to bring your parents when they visit you at BU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With Parent’s Weekend (October 19th-21st) quickly approaching at BU, it may be difficult to decide where to bring your parents in Boston. Here is a guide to some of my favorite places in Boston, all fantastic places to bring your parents this coming weekend!

Papa Razzi
One of my favorite restaurants in Boston, Papa Razzi on Newbury Street, is always a place my parents and I eat when they come to town. Papa Razzi offers some of the best Italian food outside of the North End. They serve everything from thin-crust pizzas to favorite pasta dishes, all made to order by fantastic chefs. Some of my favorites include the Bruschetta, Ziti al Pomodoro, and Ravioli al Pomodoro. They also serve Brunch on Saturday and Sunday, which is another great option to try out Papa Razzi.

Museum of Fine Arts
The Museum of Fine Arts is the perfect place to bring your parents when they come to visit, especially on a rainy afternoon. The Museum of Fine Arts is a beautiful museum with over ten current exhibits on display, including the exhibit ‘Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth Il by Yousuf Karsh: A Diamond Jubilee.’ Located right near Northeastern University’s campus, the Museum of Fine Arts is most easily accessible by the T; with its very own stop called, ‘Museum of Fine Arts’ on the E line.

SoWa Open Market
Open every Sunday through October 28th from 10am-4pm, the SoWa Open Market is one of my favorite places to go on Sundays during the Boston fall. Located at 460 Harrison Ave, the market is accessible by both car and T. There are a variety of vendors, artists, designers, bakers and chefs, farmers and more that come to the market each week to sell there one of a kind goods. The SoWa Open Market also is home to many of Boston’s greatest food trucks. With only a few weeks left, the SoWa Open Market is certainly not one to miss!

Boston Public Library
One of my favorite places in Boston, the Boston Public Library is somewhere that every visitor and resident should visit before they leave. The architecture in the main part of the library is beautiful and its center court is the perfect oasis from the city to enjoy a cup of coffee from the café located inside the library. Don’t forget to bring your camera, as there will certainly be enough photo opportunities while you are there!
[pagebreak]
Top of the Prudential
The top of the Prudential building in Boston offers some of the most magnificent views of the city, and if this is one of the first times your parents have been to Boston, then the Skywalk Observatory is a great way to see an entire 360-degree panoramic view of the city. Admission to the Skywalk Observatory includes an audio tour as well. You will even be able to point out campus!

Tour of Fenway Park
Although the Red Sox’s season has already come to a close, the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park can still be celebrated through a tour of the park. Tours are offered daily from 9am- 5pm, every hour on the hour. The tour is a one-hour walking tour and includes a visit to the press box, the Green Monster and Pesky’s Pole. More information can be found on the Red Sox’s website under tours or at the Red Sox’s gift shop by the park.

Duck Tour
I’ve always said you can’t come to Boston without going on a Duck Tour. You can see all the major sites in Boston in one afternoon if you hop on board the tours on one of these WWII style amphibious landing vehicles. The Duck Tours are also a great way to learn more about this great city you have been calling home, as the tours are very informative, filled with great insights about Boston. Duck Tours depart from three locations in Boston, but the closest one to us here at BU is located near the Prudential Center in front of Shaw’s Supermarket. More information can be found on the Boston Duck Tours’ website, but this is one experience you and you family wont forget!

Mike’s Pastry vs. Modern Pastry
The last thing you and your family needs to do before they leave Boston is decide which side of the cannoli war you are on. Both Mike’s Pastry and Modern Pastry are located on Hanover Street in the North End of Boston and are know for their long lines of eager patrons waiting to taste their pastries, and most importantly the cannoli. Try the cannoli and decide for yourself which pastry shop is your favorite!

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."