An Ode to Justin Timberlake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

So you’re in love with Justin Timberlake. Even if you think you’re not, you kind of still are. Even if you’ve never graced your eardrums to his silky-smooth falsetto in “My Love,” belted out “It’s Gonna Be Me” on a ride with your elementary school carpool, or resisted the urge to sing along as “Pusher Love Girl” flows from your earbuds on your walk to class, that doesn’t mean you’re immune to his charms (though you may be living under a rock a la Patrick Star). 

Yes, this is real. JT kicked it with the one and only Ryan Gosling in their Mickey Mouse Club days…you can almost see evil plans for world domination twinkling in their eyes…

And then the late 90s-early 00s happened. *Nsync took the world by storm, hypnotizing their fans with frosted tips and purple leather blazers. Say what you will, but eight-year-old me was pretty much infatuated with the purple ombre shades and mini platinum ‘fro look – Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century was a big influence.

When you’re taking your style cues from Elton John and Lance Bass, things can only go SO RIGHT.

If I ever needed to explain the early 2000s to someone, I would use this photo.. Rockin’ the Canadian Tuxedo with then-girlfriend Britney Spears. I hope these are in a museum somewhere.

But all good things must come to an end…JT’s breakup with Brit may have led to the most epic song/music video in recent memory. (You don’t have to SAY…what you did…I already know…I found out from…HIM) He finally went solo and embraced his more sensitive and soulful side in “Cry Me a River.” 

Of course JT had to take it a step farther by actually being funny…hosting SNL for the first time in 2003, he performed for a partially male audience for the first time. No ode to the voice of our generation would be complete without mentioning The Barry Gibb Talk Show or Mother Lover. Finally the rest of the world could see what I’d seen since the release of No Strings Attached. Talkin’ ‘bout crazy cool medallions!

Then our hero took a little break from his number one love and broke into acting…as much as I loved The Social Network, JT, you know where you belong. Basically, drop the “the.” It’s cleaner. 

And finally his triumphant return! Our fearless leader is back in business with possibly the best album in the history of musical endeavors (too much?) – The 20/20 Experience. Live it, love it, cherish it. This is one of those albums that a) you can just barely resist to dance/sing along to in public, b) your mom probably bought at Target (like an actual physical CD, isn’t that kind of cute?) and c) is chock full of very create sexual innuendos (i.e., a spaceship and a piece of strawberry bubblegum). 

Here, have a picture of Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z joking around in tuxedos. Then think about what you’ve done with your life so far. 

Is there anything he can’t do?

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.