Lessons Learned as a First Time College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As high school seniors, we all dream about our future college experiences, and count down the days until that fantasy becomes our reality. However, this new chapter in our lives may not always go the way we expect. Here are some lessons learned about starting college for the first time. 

It will be overwhelming 

Whether you come from a small town or a big city, making the transition from home to college for the first time can be daunting. You find yourself suddenly surrounded by hundreds, if not thousands, of your new classmates and their families, all in a mad rush to set up their dorms before they’re washed away in a sea of people. Then, between settling in, meeting new people, and starting classes, it seems like there’s no reprieve from the madness surrounding college life. But in these cases, it’s important to breathe and remember that it’ll be fine. 

You will miss your parents 

Despite spending the summer thinking “I can’t wait to get out of here,” or “once I’m in college I’ll…”, once your family leaves it’s a completely different story. Suddenly, the people you’ve been surrounded by your whole life, and who’ve been there for every moment, aren’t by your side. And it’s a scary feeling. But though it may seem like everyone else is perfectly fine being separated, that is definitely not the case. It is totally normal to miss your parents, and without a doubt, they miss you too. So pick up the phone and give them a call— it’ll make both sides feel better. 

It’s okay to be lonely 

You may think that now that you’re in college, life will be a series of parties, nights out, and hanging out surrounded by your new best friends. And it very well may be, but that doesn’t change the fact that, in the beginning, you may still feel an inexplicable feeling of loneliness. And that’s completely normal. For most, college is your first time living alone, and it’s highly unlikely that anyone adjusts 100% right off the bat. And seeing your friends on social media having a blast during their seemingly perfect college experience doesn’t help. But social media only shows the idealistic view of what people want you to see, and often times the same people in the pictures feel just as alienated as you do. So don’t feel bad if you find yourself wishing you were home or feeling a bit lonely. You’ll adjust in your own time, and when you do, it’ll all be okay. 

Talk to people 

Don’t be nervous to just walk up to a person and begin a conversation, even if they’re with a group of people. It may be hard to remember when it seems like everyone else is established, but every new student is in the same boat as you are, and will likely be more than happy to meet someone new. Even if it seems daunting, just go for it!

Your teachers will be pretty cool 

Everyone’s heard the rumors of college professors being distant, uncaring, or thinking about research more than their students. But in reality, college teachers are a lot like high school teachers— which makes them pretty cool! Lots of professors actually love what they teach, and want to give you a good experience in their class. So don’t be afraid to raise your hand, or chat with them after class— you’ve got nothing to lose!

The work load is manageable 

Lots of incoming students fear that they won’t be able to stay afloat once they begin their new classes after hearing horror stories about the amount of work college students get. But when it comes down to it, it’s all manageable. Yes, it’s a lot of work, and it’s probably more than you got in high school, but as long as you sit down and dedicate time to your homework, you’ll be able to stay on top of your assignments, do well in your classes, and still enjoy some downtime.

Every day gets better 

So maybe your first week of classes didn’t go as planned. Or you find yourself missing your home, friends, and family more than you anticipated. Don’t freak out. College is a big adjustment no matter who you are, and sometimes it takes a little more time to get settled than you plan for. But every day you’ll get a little more used to your new life, and see that it’s not as scary as it initially seemed. No matter how the start of college compared to your expectations, the college experience is yours, so own it!

Jessica is a senior at Boston University, studying in the School of Communication with a major in Mass Communication, a minor in Cinema & Media Studies and is on the Pre-Law Track. She made the move from Westchester, NY to Boston, and is living in a constant fear of the impending winter. When not in class, she could be found obsessing over Harry Potter or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, making poorly timed puns, or drinking an excess of tea.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis