The Last Summer Before Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re a junior like me, you might have that daunting realization that the summer that’s quickly approaching is probably the last real summer of your life. From now on, it’s going to be either the real world or grad school – and the sad thing is, especially if you’re going for a professional degree, the summers aren’t really summers. You don’t have an option to sit down and relax, and it honestly seems like an extension of the academic year.

Maybe it’s not really like that, but nearly everyone I’ve talked to feels that way. So, here we are going into what may just be the last real summer of our lives, and it’s time to make the most of it, because hey, when will you get a chance like this again?

Summer has always been the time for taking chances, and what happens in summer stays in summer.

If you’re single, meet a bunch of new people to try something new.

Take art classes, if that’s what your hobby is, or actually finish that novel that you’ve been writing for two years.

Go meet your old friends, and make new friends.

Go visit that weird store or restaurant in your home town that you never did, because when will you ever get another chance?

And in that vein, try and re-experience the place you come from. I know back home, they actually started doing tours for locals to show a different side of the city that they grew up in. Make your own tour of your city.

It’s time to make this summer memorable. Make it something to put in the books.

Alizah Ali is a senior at BU. She's working on her biology-premed degree, which finds her often in the quietest parts of the library. She loves coffee and bunnies and running whenever the Boston weather lets her. She's a big advocate for mental health destigmatization and awareness. Follow her on instagram @lizza0419
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.