Kol Echad: Who They Are & Why to Come to One Voice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Have you heard of Kol Echad?

No? Well then, it’s time to start paying attention! This talented group of students is Boston University’s premier Jewish a cappella group and they’ve been making a name for themselves by performing at different events around campus. Since being founded in 1995, Kol Echad has established themselves as a top Jewish a cappella group by singing a mix of Israeli and contemporary songs. They’ve even performed for impressive audiences such as former Senator Scott Brown and Senator Elizabeth Warren at the 2012 AIPAC National Summit. 

So, what makes Kol Echad stand out from other a cappella groups on campus? 

“I joined Kol Echad because I’ve always wanted to be in a collegiate a cappella group. But what really stuck out to me was that it was a Jewish a cappella group. I feel that by being in Kol Echad, I can immerse myself in my faith and culture in a way that’s fun and exciting,” said Olivia Shendell (COM ’15).

Through performing in on-campus events such as Red, White, & BU and recording their songs, the members of Kol Echad have formed a bond through their music. They’ve even traveled accross the country together; every winter break, Kol Echad performs in a different city. Last year, it was Miami, and this year, they’ll be headed to Chicago! 

“I joined Kol Echad to get involved in something Jewish on campus. It is more than just singing Jewish music. We are a bunch of friends coming together to sing great music. When I joined, I didn’t know I would I would become such great friends with all of them. I think people are surprised that we actually enjoy hanging out with each other,” said Dani Segelbaum (COM ’16).

If you haven’t seen Kol Echad perform yet, what are you waiting for? Their biggest event of the semester, One Voice, is coming up this weekend, Saturday, November 23rd at 7:30 pm at the Hillel House (4th floor). Kol Echad will be performing with groups representing different faiths, including BU Bhangra, Chinese Ensemble, BU Fatakada Kalaniot, M.U.S.I.C., BU Mustard Seed, and Soulstice Step About Boston. Join them for this multicultural event!

Don’t forget to connect with Kol Echad through Facebook and Twitter!

Rebecca Shinners is a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and Photo Intern/Freelancer at O, The Oprah Magazine. She graduated from Boston University in 2014 with a BS in Journalism and concentration in Photojournalism. She got her start in magazines writing for Her Campus and was previously an Editor for both Her Campus BU and Her Campus Tulane. Her work has also appeared in Seventeen Magazine, Teen Vogue, Bustle.com, Hamptons Magazine, and Newsday. When Rebecca isn't busy writing and taking pictures, she can be found shopping, petting puppies, wearing the color mint, and going to concerts.More: http://rebeccashinners.weebly.com/
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.