Kaylee Coughlin ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It is 7:30 on a Tuesday morning and sophomore Kaylee Coughlin (COM ’14) is warming up on the ice at Walter Brown Arena in preparation for her synchronized skating practice.  Joining the Terrierettes as a freshman on the synchro team, Kaylee has the opportunity to participate in the activity she loves at a less competitive level.

At the young age of four, Kaylee first started skating alongside her mother in a mother-daughter skating class. Once she was approached by a competitive skating coach a few years later, skating became Kaylee’s life.  “I practiced sometimes twice a day, and with competitions I was very committed to skating,” Kaylee remarks.  Having devoted a great deal of time to skating, Kaylee made the tough decision to quit in 8th grade.  “I kinda missed skating throughout high school, so it was great to learn that BU had skating programs, which was the main reason why I got back into the sport,” Kaylee explains. 

Able to combine her love for skating and desire for team camaraderie, Kaylee found the synchronized skating team to be a perfect fit. 

Practicing three times a week, Kaylee and the Terrierettes put in time both on the ice and in the dance studio.  All of the preparation paid off when the Terrierettes placed 1st at the New England Challenge Cup (January 21st) and 3rd at Eastern Sectionals (January 28th). 

Enjoying every moment on and off the ice, Kaylee could not be happier that she joined the synchro team.  “I really just love the team feeling that synchro has,” Kaylee explains. 

Keep and eye out for Kaylee and the Terrierettes as they skate their way to Nationals on March 3rd.

Ashley Rossi is a sophomore at Boston University studying Magazine Journalism and Mass Communication. After living in a small town for most of her childhood she looked towards the city for an exciting adventure. At BU Ashley has volunteered with the Community Service Center and written for various publications, including The Buzz and College Fashionista. Her goal is to eventually run the creative department for any major fashion magazine or international design house. Ashley also blogs daily on her blog, Gossip, Chanel, and English Tea on Tumblr. In the meantime she enjoys relaxing on the beach, watching Gossip Girl and Weeds, and reading the next Lauren Weisberger novel.