The International Clique

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Whether you’re new to BU or not, there’s no doubt you haven’t noticed the number of international students on campus. As you walk down Comm Ave, you can most likely spot them traveling together in groups, sometimes even linked by the arms. With a record-breaking number of international students on campus this year, BU continues to build its international reputation in nearly 100 countries across the world. Undoubtedly, the university takes pride in its diverse population as well as the benefits that go with it. The influx of the international students population is meant to enhance BU students’ academic and social experiences, giving a chance for the domestic students to learn more about different cultures and perspectives while the international students also learn to assimilate to American culture. These kinds of interactions make everyone more aware of everything. Not to mention, the international students pay full tuition, so the university also benefits financially.

While the international students seem to have established their own friend groups once they set foot on campus, their intention isn’t to be intimidating. As anyone can imagine, it can be pretty tough for young international students to come to a city like Boston with no connections, no family, and without much knowledge of the American culture. As a result, they seek comfort in knowing there are other international students. With the common knowledge of their language and background, international students tend to lean on others who share their cultural connection, which helps them form what seems to be a “clique” in the BU community.

Whether you encounter international students on your floor, in your classes, or at your clubs, don’t be afraid to approach them. The international clique may seem intimidating or overwhelming at first, but chances are international students are just as hesitant as you are. They are likely waiting to make new friends! While you don’t have to become the best of friends, there’s no harm in striking up conversation or just saying “hi”! You’d be surprised to see how much they have to offer and how much you have to learn! While BU offers great academics and excellent facilities during your time in Boston, don’t overlook the university’s international reputation. BU works hard to provide its students with a diverse community.