How Your Money Mysteriously Disappears

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Oooo, look! Your parents gave you some money to help you through the next week!

You plan to be totally grown-up and responsible this time, and not spend it on frivolous things.

The next morning, you make a Starbucks run and pick up a Grande Blonde-roast coffee. Nothing frivolous about a coffee, right?

While you’re waiting for a prescription at CVS, you casually stroll through the make-up aisle and spot the perfect shade of red lip-stain. You grab it and keep walking towards the nail polishes, and notice Essie’s new fall colors. They’re SO pretty. You’ll just pick one. Or three.

Your friend needs some new wedges and asks you to come shopping with her.

Your friend comes back with nothing, while you on the other hand, return triumphant with a pair of cute boots and a new sweater. The boots were half off – there was no way you could pass them up. As for the sweater… well… it’s a light blue sweater, and you don’t have a light blue sweater. So you bought a light blue sweater.

#logic

You’re not feeling the so-called “meat” in the cafeteria today, so instead you’ll get some Chipotle.

On Friday night, you drag your boyfriend to see Gone Girl, and insist on sharing a large popcorn and a pack of Twizzlers, even though they cost more than your ticket did.

The next day, your dad reminds you that you owe him $8 for your Netflix subscription. You go to transfer the fee and look at your balance, which is currently $26.13.

You tell your dad you’ll pay him double next month, and he asks you the question you really don’t want to be asked:

“Where did that money we gave you last week go?”

Except now, you do.

Olivia Shur is a student at Boston University. She enjoys food, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and watching cat videos when she really should be studying. She is a PR major in the College of Communication.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis