How to Look Good in Photos and Channel Your Inner Supermodel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Disclaimer: I am no Tyra Banks. Believe me when I say that the “untag” button on Facebook has been used and abused. However, when I’m prepared for a photo, I do take quite a good picture (not to toot my own horn or anything).  The most important thing to get out of your head is that being photogenic has to do with “natural beauty.” With just a little practice and the right tips, anyone can take a good picture. Here are a few tricks I’ve picked up watching way too many hours of America’s Next Top Model reruns on how to make the camera love you.

Smile

This tip may seem super obvious, but I think this is the most basic principle of taking a good picture. There is nothing cute about an awkward grimace in a photo so you would be doing yourself many favors by making sure that at the very least you are flashing those pearly whites.

Do: Lift your chin away from your neck to avoid that unsightly double chin and press your tongue against your teeth while you smile as this relaxes your face.  Always remember to keep your head down but lift your eyes up towards the camera.

Don’t: Fake your smile! A forced smile is incredibly obvious (and awkward) on film and besides, there is nothing more refreshing than a genuine happy smile, so go to your happy place, think happy thoughts, do whatever you have to do so your smile looks real on camera.

Lighting

I have this theory about “perfect sunlight”. I strongly believe that there is a specific time in the day that has this inexplicably magical effect to make your pictures look amazing. I’ve since realized that my “perfect sunlight” theory is actually a real photography phenomenon called “The Golden Hour”. The Golden Hour is about an hour and half after sunrise and an hour and a half about sunset.

Do: Try it! Personally I’m not a morning person so I can’t speak for the morning hour, but trust me, in “The Golden Hour” everything looks better; your skin looks fresher, your eyes sparkle, you are basically a goddess. The Golden Hour is your friend, trust me.

Don’t: Avoid overhead lights when taking pictures indoors. These create unsightly shadows under the eyes, nose and chin. Also do not overuse your flash; sometimes natural lighting is far more forgiving than flash.

Take Selfies

Contrary to popular belief there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking lots of pictures of yourself.  Besides the obvious benefit of showing yourself some well-deserved love, it is the best way to learn what works in photos and what doesn’t.
Do: Have a mini photo shoot starring yourself! “Selfies” teach you your best angles, let you practice your smile and boost your confidence in front the camera; these are all good things when trying to improve your appearance in pictures. Embrace your inner Gisele.

Don’t: Upload them all to Instagram because that’s annoying and people will most likely unfollow you.

Posture

Fact: Slouching makes you look bigger than you are; in real life and in photos. If you are okay with this fact then much power to you, but for the rest of us who are not trying to look 10lbs heavier in pictures then posture is everything.

Do: Always try to straighten up as it will make you appear more slender (this is especially important when taking pictures while sitting). Another trick I’ve realized celebrities do is the ¾ pose. Facing the camera straight on will make you look bigger, but if you stand on a side and twist your upper body to face the camera it creates the illusion of curves, making you look super svelte!

Don’t: Suck in your stomach until your ribs show as this is basically a giveaway that you’re sucking in.

Finally, this may sound super cliché but confidence in photos is key. If nothing else, be confident and it will radiate through in pictures.

Do: Remember that you are beautiful.
Don’t: Hide from the camera anymore!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.