How I Learned It Was Okay to Have Sex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s safe to say I was naive in high school. I was your typical good girl. I got perfect grades, was a part of all the clubs, and spent my weekends watching movies and going to the mall with my best friend. I never really had a desire to rebel, but if I did, I would have thought of sex as a way to do that. It seemed forbidden; something that no one was doing. Any time sex was talked about it was a joke, never a meaningful act or an ordinary expression of feelings two people have for each other.

To clarify, I went to a public high school in a tiny town where my class size was roughly eighty people. I thought that sex was this scary thing that I couldn’t fathom happening around me because no one talked about it. Our sex ed was more of a “read it yourself” chapter of a health textbook. That basically led me to believe that if I had sex I would probably get an STD or just get pregnant no matter what. That’s not okay. I was afraid to ask anyone about it because I was living in an extremely isolated, conservative town that I didn’t think had any advice for me.

It was pretty typical of people to graduate from high school and stay in my town; getting married and starting a family right after high school. I think that partly influenced why I thought pre-marital sex, or casual sex with more than just the one person that you would spend your life with, seemed so wrong. All I wanted was for someone to tell me that sex was okay. I wanted to hear it was allowed and common, rather than something to be ashamed of.

I graduated and made the huge decision about where I wanted to be for the next four years. I chose a city that was the complete opposite of the place I had been for most of my life. I started to think…if I could make a choice like that one, that I knew was right for me, why couldn’t I make my own decision about the role sex played in my life?

Here I am in my second semester of college. I’m not scared by the prospect of seeing free condoms in many campus buildings. I don’t shy away from having important conversations, like those about sexual health. I feel very informed about safe sex and I see it as a positive act that everyone should be able to make free choices about.

I hated feeling like I was trapped in someone else’s opinion about something that applied to my own body. Looking back at this time in my life, I see that I have grown a lot. I had a fear of sex and talking about it because I didn’t think I was allowed to know that much about the topic. My biggest take away from this learning experience has been one thing: Being informed is powerful.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sonja is a senior at Boston University from New Hampshire studying journalism. On campus, Sonja works to promote various brands to the college audience. She has been an ambassador for Razor Scooters, Venmo, Rent the Runway, Comcast Xfinity, and BEARPAW Shoes! When she's not writing or working, she loves exploring restaurants and taking pictures around Boston!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.