How to Celebrate Valentine’s Day Single: Desserts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is notably my favorite holiday, I love celebrating all of the love in my life, even though I’ve never had a “Valentine” on Valentine’s Day.

When I was younger, I took a different approach to Valentine’s Day and I handed out Valentine’s cards that read: “Don’t Be Mine”.

I ended up getting in trouble for it, but I honestly did not want the 25 kids in my fourth-grade class to be my Valentine, and I really don’t think that that is problematic. But, someone’s parents called and complained.

So, if you do have someone special this Valentine’s Day, I have no suggestions other than I hope that you all have a great time celebrating.

But, dessert is one of my favorite parts of Valentine’s day. Especially, chocolate covered strawberries and heart shaped sugar cookies.

So, make all the baked goods and invite your friends over for cookies, strawberries and sparkling apple cider!

Chocolate Covered Strawberries: courtesy of Food Network

Source: The Food Network

You’ll need:

6 oz semisweet chocolate

3 oz white chocolate

1 lb strawberries, washed and dried.

Basically, melt the chocolate and dip the strawberries in it. Place them on a pan with parchment paper, and then drizzle white chocolate on top of them and cool for thirty minutes and voilà!

My recommendation: add heart shaped sprinkles and drizzle with milk chocolate as well.

Sugar Cookies courtesy of allrecipes.com

Source: Good Housekeeping

You’ll Need:

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup butter, softened

1 1/2 cups white sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Then:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.

My recommendation: get a heart-shaped cookie cutter and fun sprinkles. YUM!

So, make some fun desserts, invite your friends over and celebrate all the love you have in your life!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.