Going Glee: The Top 10

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Glee is one of the best shows on TV right now. Sarcastic, but sweet, ridiculous and bizarre, yet still relatable, it has become a show that puts the warm fuzzies into even the toughest of people. With its immense song repertoire covering everything from rap to Broadway musical numbers, and with songs spanning several decades, Glee seems to have something for everyone. The song list that the Glee cast has performed, however, is immense, and as much as I love Glee, admittedly not all of the songs score an A+. So, without further adieu, here are my personal rankings for the 10 Best and 10 Worst songs from Glee. 

Top 10 Songs

10. Tik Tok

Looking for a song to pump up your Friday and Saturday nights? Try playing the Glee version of Kesha’s Tik Tok. Brittany injects her amazing energy into the song, which, ironically, the Glee club sings as part of “Alcohol Awareness Week.” 

9. A House is Not a Home

Kurt has an angelic voice, and this song is an example of Kurt at his best. Singing this number, he puts on a performance that is both tender and gut-wrenchingly emotional. 

8. Valerie

I’m so glad that Santana finally gets to sing solos. She has a very unique voice with a raspy quality to it. Finally the background vocals on this song equal pure perfection.

7. River Deep, Mountain High

Santana and Mercedes sing this song with a sweet and sassy flair. Their voices blend together seamlessly. Hopefully we’ll be hearing more duets from these two. 

6. Bohemian Rhapsody

Vocal Adrenaline’s performance of Bohemian Rhapsody with Jesse St. James singing the solo was one of the best covers of the season. 

5. Don’t Rain on My Parade

While some people are decidedly anti-Rachel Berry, no one can deny that the girl’s got pipes. Rachel’s performance of Don’t Rain on My Parade is both vocally impressive and easy on the ears.

4. Jessie’s Girl

With the voice of an eighties rock star, Finn is Glee’s champion of classic rock. This song in particular showcases developing talent as a singer. He certainly has come a long way from singing in the locker room shower. 

3. Forget You

Gwyneth Paltrow as Holly Holliday proves that she’s got some style when she busts out Ce-Lo’s Forget You. This song is catchy, but still has some attitude. 

2. Teenage Dreams

Sung in true a cappella form, this version of Teenage Dreams explodes with harmonies and the sweet and savory voice of Blaine, (played by Darren Criss). Katy Perry never sounded so good. 

1. Sweet Caroline

This song debuted Puck’s first time as a soloist. Hearing his sultry voice and gazing upon his iconic Mohawk, all the girls watching could not help but fall in love. 

Worst Songs

10. One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer

While I appreciate Glee’s attempts to pursue a wide range of musical genres, this song simply falls flat. The low notes and the vocal tone required to sing this country tune make One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer a song that Will Schuester never should have attempted. 

9. Vogue

Sue Sylvester’s performance of Vogue came across as somewhat creepy. Maybe it’s the way that her singing voice sounds octaves higher than her speaking voice. 

8. Thong Song 

Oh, Will Schuester… when will Glee producers decide to stop torturing you with songs that you simply cannot sing? Will should really stick to classical songs and musical numbers. Trying to sing songs like these is reminiscent of our parents trying desperately to be ‘hip.’ 

7. Bust a Move 

Please see above.

6. Merry Christmas Darling

This song dragged on and on. I felt like any longer and we would be celebrating Easter. 

5. Safety Dance

This song is pure headache-inducing magic. There is only so much auto-tune that one can take. That said, the performance did have some sweet dance moves by Artie. 

4. Baby One More Time

Rachel Berry sounded nasally and pinched. Perhaps this was her interpretation of what all pop stars sound like, but her version of Britney Spears’ Baby One More Time made me embarrassed for having been born in the ‘90s.

3. One of Us

When the Glee kids wondered, “what if God was one of us,” viewers sat at home trying to hold back waves of nausea. This trite song hits the viewers over the head with a message about accepting religion. 

2. Push It

While admittedly this song’s purpose was primarily for comedic effect, the Glee Club’s attempt to display their sex appeal resulted in a song that was painful to listen to.

1. I Know What Boy’s Like

I know what we all don’t like… and it’s Lauren singing this song. Please no more. 

All in all, while Glee has had a few duds, the show has produced heaps of fantastic covers. Some of the worst songs on my list served hilarious purposes in the show. It was very difficult determining the Top 10, so be sure to leave your comments and tell me what you think! 

*Photo courtesy of idolator.com

Allison Milam is a sophomore at Boston University double majoring in Communications/Advertising and Sociology. After living in sunny Sarasota, Florida for her first eighteen years, Allison shipped up to Boston for a new climate and a new start. She spends most her time working with the Community Service Center, writing for the Buzz Magazine at Boston University, and participating on BU's National Student Advertising Competition's team. She has a passion for cooking, eating, and talking about food, and hopes to attend culinary school after she graduates from BU. Allison spent the summer of 2010 as the resident food writer for SRQ Magazine back home in Sarasota, and continues to do freelance. Whenever she can squeeze it in, Allison loves watching Weeds and Mad Men. Her goal is to attend as many concerts and meet as many famous people as possible while living in Boston! Allison loves living the city lifestyle and hopes to one day write for Bon Appetit magazine or work for a cutting-edge advertising agency!