Food Truck Fridays: The Dining Car

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With its bright orange exterior, you definitely won’t be able to miss this food truck on Comm Ave. The Dining Car is known for serving up a variety of sandwiches on fresh focaccia bread made in-house. The ever-changing menu features seasonal meats, cheeses and produce. The Dining Car parks at BU East right outside of Morse Auditorium serving lunch on Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Although The Dining Car has a pretty limited menu, you certainly won’t be disappointed with their options. Each of the sandwiches are prepared with high quality ingredients and they all sound so delicious it can be hard to choose just one. Here were the menu items I found most mouth-watering:

Honey Truffle Goat Cheese Sandwich $8 – Marinated goat cheese spread, honey truffled walnuts, and greens with sherry vinaigrette on French bread

Grilled Chicken Sandwich $8 – Grilled chicken breast, avocado, sliced cucumber and wasabi aioli on a crusty baguette

Caprese Sandwich (with or without Grilled Chicken) $8 (+$1 for Grilled Chicken) – Fresh tomatoes and mozzarella cheese on Focaccia bread with home-made pesto spread

Market Flatbread Margherita $5 – Fresh tomatoes and mozzarella cheese served on a flatbread

Crispy Cauliflower $4 – Fresh cauliflower florets lightly fried, served with curry aioli

I decided to try the Caprese Sandwich with chicken. The sandwich was decent; I really enjoyed the fresh tomatoes and mozzarella. The Focaccia bread was fresh, but a bit too salty for my liking. There was salt sprinkled on the top of the roll which was a turn off for me personally. The pesto spread had great flavor, though, and combined nicely with the tomatoes and mozzarella. However the bottom half of the bread was soaked with the pesto spread by the time I took a bite, so I would suggest requesting less pesto if you want your sandwich to hold together while you eat it. The chicken was cooked perfectly and was a great addition to the sandwich – it really rounded out all the flavors. Overall this was a good eat, and with a few minor changes I think I would order it again.

I’d be interested in trying some of The Dining Car’s other sandwiches…next time I see this food truck parked outside of Morse, I just might have to take a detour and grab some lunch!

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."