Five Things to Try in Boston’s North End

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Most BU students know that Boston’s North End is considered the area’s “Little Italy.” Maybe they have even taken the green line all the way down to Haymarket once or twice in their college career to try a cannoli from one of the competing bakeries. I only really began to explore the area further when my friends from my hometown on the Jersey Shore (who just so happens to be of Italian heritage like me) came up for a visit. I figured it would be the perfect place to bring them: a piece of Boston that they can relate to.

As the weather begins to get a little sunnier, no matter what your heritage, consider exploring the North End of Boston, an area so rich in history, culture, and especially taste. Here is a guideline of five things you absolutely must try for a perfect day out with your best friends in one of the most beautiful neighborhoods of our city.  

1) Shopping
Walking from the T station towards Hanover Street, the main drag of the North End, you will find a unique shop: DePasquale’s Homemade Pasta. There on Cross St. you can purchase one of 50 different types of pasta they make fresh daily, including interesting flavors like lobster fettuccine.

If you’re not looking to shop for food, but would prefer to look for some new clothes, the North End also has that to offer. At the end of Hanover St. is a boutique called in-jean-ius that sells over 30 brands of jeans along with other clothing items and accessories. Although some designer items are pricey, it’s still always fun to window shop.

In the North End you can also find home décor shops, jewelry stores, and even one of Boston’s best cosmetics/skin care stores called a Matter of Face.  

2) Historic Sites
After you have your fill of shopping, make sure to check out some of the historic sites. The North End is home to two stops on the Freedom Trail: The Old North Church and Paul Revere’s House. I just happened to wander into the Old North Church one day out of curiosity, and I left really happy that I had stumbled upon the site. The building is gorgeous and by looking around you begin to notice that many key figures in the American Revolutionary War had stood in that exact location, which is pretty cool. It also has a fun gift shop to browse through if you are feeling touristy!

3) Dinner
Next stop on your day in the North End would be dinner – and with so many great options to pick from you can’t go wrong. Up and down Hanover St. you will find tons of Italian restaurants, but for an upscale atmosphere without breaking the budget, I suggest Café Pompeii. Another great place to eat is Spagnuolo’s, which offers a more casual feel but a warm, family-like experience.  

A word of advice: bring cash with you, as many of the restaurants and other businesses in the North End do not accept credit or debit cards

4) Shows
When you think of seeing shows in Boston, your first thought it probably of the Theatre District around Boylston. There is one underground-type comedy venue in the North End, however, that every BU student should experience. Described as a cross between Whose Line Is It Anywayand Saturday Night Live, the Improv Asylum is a great place to catch a show and have a few laughs, especially since tickets are only $20 each. Last year I saw a great political show called You’re a Good Man Scott Brown, and I look forward to going to see the current main stage production, Leave it to Bieber. According to the Boston Globe, in that show “sketches feature a karaoke death match, a bizarre build-a-bear workshop, an autotune fanatic and a unique game of spin the bottle.”

5) Dessert
After the show, the icing on the cake of this perfect North End day is to get online at one of the pastry shops in the area and try an authentic dessert. It doesn’t have to be a cannoli, though. Maybe try a lobster tail at Mike’s Pastry or a crème brulee from Modern Pastry. You could even enjoy a frothy cappuccino at Caffe Vittoria. Once people have tried them all, though, they usually wind up with a favorite dessert spot that they go back to time and time again. Which one is yours?

*Photos courtesy of Nicole Baran

Allison Milam is a sophomore at Boston University double majoring in Communications/Advertising and Sociology. After living in sunny Sarasota, Florida for her first eighteen years, Allison shipped up to Boston for a new climate and a new start. She spends most her time working with the Community Service Center, writing for the Buzz Magazine at Boston University, and participating on BU's National Student Advertising Competition's team. She has a passion for cooking, eating, and talking about food, and hopes to attend culinary school after she graduates from BU. Allison spent the summer of 2010 as the resident food writer for SRQ Magazine back home in Sarasota, and continues to do freelance. Whenever she can squeeze it in, Allison loves watching Weeds and Mad Men. Her goal is to attend as many concerts and meet as many famous people as possible while living in Boston! Allison loves living the city lifestyle and hopes to one day write for Bon Appetit magazine or work for a cutting-edge advertising agency!