Fall Trend Alert: School Girl Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Remember that painfully yellow, pleated skirt blazer combo Cher wore in Clueless? Unfortunately, me too. However, that look is in this fall (minus the yellow of course). I’m talking white button downs, layered under an oversized sweater and paired with a cute, pleated, plaid mini skirt. If this is sounding too preppy to you, have no fear. Swap that sweater with a black blazer with leather details. My favorite one can be found here: 

I strongly advise splurging on this blazer because you will never look at another one the same. It is like trying a double stuffed oreo for the first time and wondering why you ever ate regular oreos. Yes you know that revelation I’m talking about.

This whole school-girl look is definitely flexible so feel free to take it to the next level. My personal favorite twist is the “I’m going to skip class and I am going to look good doing it” look. (Mom and dad, I know you read my last blog post so I want to assure you that I don’t actually skip class). This is where the black button downs, leather jackets and moto boots come into play. For the best feminine button downs, look no further than www.equipmentfr.com. Their Slim Signature shirt is my personal favorite. In regards to leather jackets, I always rely on AllSaints. They have so many styles to choose from and the quality of their leather is great. They also give students a 20% discount! Amazing. Boston is lucky to have a huge AllSaints store right on Newbury street so check it out. As for moto boots, the possibilities are endless. My advice for when on the hunt for boots is to be conscious of their height. If your legs are not super long, opt for a shorter bootie look. If you have longer legs, go for a mid calf length. Go ahead and stand in front of a full length mirror and flex your calves. You know you want to. Where the definition of your super strong calves starts is the height you want your boots to be. This rule mostly applies for moto boots. Other wise use your personal preference for a short or knee high boot. Whatever your heart desires. Chanel makes a beautiful quilted lace up boot and it is perfection. I recommend those. Otherwise boots are something you definitely need to try before you buy.

Enough of my advice. Here are some of my favorite looks for this fall:

Look 1.

Shirt and skirt: A.L.C

Jacket: IRO

Shoes: Vans

Backpack: Mansur Gavriel (new favorite bags!!!)

Look 2.

Shirt: Equipment

Skirt: Alice and Olivia

Shoes: Superga

Bag: Stella McCartney

Look 3.

Dress: Brochu Walker exclusive for Intermix

Shoes: Rag and Bone

Bag: Stella McCartney

I hope this inspires you to find your inner Cher and rock the school-girl trend.

Stay stylish BU

If there's anything I've mastered in this life, it's a successful hair flip.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis