Events Not to Miss at Hillel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This year, whether you are a freshmen or a student returning to campus, it is a fantastic idea to branch out and try new organizations at BU. There are over 500 student groups, and fall is the season of subsidized events, giveaways, and, my personal favorite, free food. The following are just some incredible events for students to expect at Hillel, the largest student organization on campus at the moment. Since Hillel has the most members, is non denominational, and is in a central location on campus (216 Bay State Road, right across from Warren Towers), it can be a great place to bring friends and meet people of all different backgrounds.

1) Peer Mentor Program for First Years: http://www.bu.edu/hillel/student-life/mentor/

Something that is unique to Hillel House is the peer mentor program. If you are new to campus, you can sign up online and receive an experienced mentor who is active in student life. He or she will be able to show you around campus and Boston. This program is completely free, and every student who signs up for the program will be able to participate in exclusive events such as pizza parties, scavenger hunts around Boston, free coffee dates, subsidized formal tickets, and speed dating. Mentorship is what you make of it, but you might as well try it!

2) Maccabeats Concert: https://www.facebook.com/Maccabeats?ref=br_tf

The Maccabeats are an extremely popular Jewish A Cappella group that originated in New York. They became extremely successful three years ago when their song, Candlelight, blew up on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSJCSR4MuhU). They now have over 40 songs on iTunes and often go on tour. The group is visiting BU’s campus, courtesy of Hillel House, on November 2nd in the MetCalf Ballroom. Tickets will be sold for only $8 for students online and $10 at the door.

3) Gala Shabbat:

Almost every semester, Hillel has one Friday night where students can dress up for Shabbat dinner and enjoy some sort of entertainment, whether it is an A Capella group on campus, an improv show, a comedy routine, or a guest speaker. This year there will be a free dinner provided, an A Cappella group from BU, mocktails following everything, and a fun Disney Prince and Princesses theme. Be sure to be there on October 24th!

4) Mitzvah Day:

A day of giving back to the community, October 26th will see a variety of different activities available in Hillel and throughout Boston. Similar to BU’s Global Day of Service, this day is run by the hard working members of the Social Action Committee and Hillel board who put together a day of community service for friends. If volunteering doesn’t motivate you to sign up, perhaps receiving a T-shirt at the end of the day will!

5) Casino Themed Fall Formal:

This fall semester there will be a formal for around 200 students who just want to dress to the nines, mingle with new friends, dance to a jammin’ DJ, and nosh on some noms. The theme is Las Vegas Casino, and more ticket information is soon to follow on the Hillel website. Mark your calendars for Saturday November 15th!

6) Latkah Palooza aka FREE FOOD

More free food! Every year as holiday fever is getting to every student and Hannukkah is just around the corner, Hillel gives out thousands of free latkahs, a delicious traditional potato pancake. Hundreds of Boston University students flood the Hillel dining hall enjoying this delicious free meal with globs of sour cream and dribbles of apple sauce. Sometimes donuts, soda, gelt and other treats are handed out as well, and sometimes this event is DJed. Although Hillel always provides a few hours for this event, the food can be gone within an hour, so make sure to fight your way to the front of the crowd! Do not miss this event!

7) Student groups to be a part of:

Within Hillel, you can acquire a leadership position or become more active by becoming a member of Freshman Student Council, the Social Action Committee, the Fundraising Committee, the Holocaust Education Committee, Boston University Students for Israel (BUSI), Challah for Hunger, Kol Echad (the Jewish A Cappella group), or so many more, found here: http://www.bu.edu/hillel/student-life/groups/

Shannon Stocks is a Junior at Boston University in the Sargent School for Health Sciences, majoring in Speech Language and Hearing Sciences. She has always loved to write and focuses this passion on her poetry. In her free time, you can find her at spin class on Newbury Street, working on a project in the community service center, or at the Hillel House. She loves being a part of the Her Campus Team!
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis