The Do’s and Don’ts of PDA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As defined by urbandictionary.com, PDA (Public Display of Affection) is the act of:
“…Kissing, touching, groping, licking, nuzzling, cuddling, crossing hands into each other’s opposite back pockets, etc, while in public. Usually spotted among new couples, frisky teenagers, and occasionally the “young at heart” (god help us)…”

PDA is something that we have all seen before. Sometimes we may even think it’s cute, like when a boyfriend and girlfriend are holding hands as they walk down the street or watch a movie at the theatre. But, most of the time when you think of PDA you probably think of that random couple at a party who are exchanging saliva over in the corner. Yes, you know what I am talking about.

If you are like most people, you have engaged in PDA at some point in your life. So the question becomes, how do you know if you are taking the “display” part a little too far?

The key is to ask yourself: is this something I would want to be around? 

Yes: Well then you are probably ok. PDAs are great, and it’s always nice to give your boyfriend or significant other a kiss every once in a while or hold their hand. It’s a nice way to show you care and really love being with them. So what if you get teased occasionally. (Obviously they’re just jealous.)

No: That means you should probably stop what you are doing or move to a more private spot, since normally a “no” means someone around you is giving you a dirty look and talking about you with his or her friends. If you don’t give a crap, well then by all means continue… but if you are with a group of people you know, there is a high possibility that you are making them feel terribly awkward and causing them to suffer second hand embarrassment for you. If you don’t care, well consider the fact that they might not invite you to go out with them again. Sure that might not happen, but why even invite the possibility of that occurring? Nobody likes hanging out with someone only to watch as they make a fool of themselves. They might be nice and say nothing, but believe me, they are most definitely thinking about you in a pretty unflattering light.

So, if you are ever at a party or sitting in a movie theatre engaging in PDA, remember to ask yourself, would I want to watch someone else do this? It can save you from embarrassing yourself and your friends. You really don’t want to be THAT girl… so use some of that self-control you know you’ve got and avoid excessive PDA. It’s a win-win for everybody.

Ashley Rossi is a sophomore at Boston University studying Magazine Journalism and Mass Communication. After living in a small town for most of her childhood she looked towards the city for an exciting adventure. At BU Ashley has volunteered with the Community Service Center and written for various publications, including The Buzz and College Fashionista. Her goal is to eventually run the creative department for any major fashion magazine or international design house. Ashley also blogs daily on her blog, Gossip, Chanel, and English Tea on Tumblr. In the meantime she enjoys relaxing on the beach, watching Gossip Girl and Weeds, and reading the next Lauren Weisberger novel.