This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Have you ever seen Pixar’s animated movie A Bug’s Life? If so, you might recall how the ants could hold a perfect water droplet in the palm of their hands. Well now so can you! Chef Darren Wong has introduced an ethereal dessert, the stuff of dreams, to America. It is called Raindrop Cake, otherwise known as Mizu Shingen Mochi in Japan, its country of origin. It is a rounded and translucent, jiggling mixture of mineral water and Agar powder, a vegan substitute for gelatin made from seaweed. As intriguing as it is, I would hardly classify it as a cake since it is basically a fine Jell-O with the consistency of water. It’s all about this special melt-in-your-mouth texture, which sets it apart from all other gelatinous, transparent cuisines of the world. Since this is the case, it is traditionally served with a side of soybean flour and brown sugar syrup to enhance the flavor. It takes a good ten minutes of ogling at what looks like a large water droplet before daring to try it. Something as fragile as this water-based mass of perfection is almost heartbreaking to dig a spoon into for a bite. With that being said, it is equally as mesmerizing to slowly slice a clean cut down the middle of the squishy dessert. 

All you need to make the dessert is:

• 2/3 cups of water 

• 1/8 teaspoon of agar powder, which you can purchase at any local Asian supermarket

• A sprinkle of sugar

The Simple Directions:

1. Stir the water, sugar, and agar powder.

2. Microwave the mixture for thirsty seconds and stir. Repeat this process until the agar has dissolved.

3. Pour the mixture into any mold you please, pop any pesky bubbles that appear, and place the molds into the refrigerator. Leave it in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour. 

4. Unmold the dessert, and eat as soon as possible!

Speaking from experience, the flavor depends on a delicate balance of ingredients. You may need to experiment with the amount of agar to get the desired texture: You’re going for an appearance as fragile as a soap bubble, yet sturdy enough so as not to lose form and melt back down to water when removed from the fridge. “The cake has to maintain its shape but still have the texture of water,” says Wong, master chef of Raindrop Cake. Also, if it’s not consumed within a half-hour of exposure from the fridge, the dessert will melt into a sweet watery puddle- or if you have the same experience that I did my first attempt, a watery puddle that tastes coppery, like pennies. Now, it may sound like the high-maintenance diva of desserts, but if pulled off correctly, a bite of the gelatinous “cake” and its sugary enhancements will engage many senses at once. However, regardless of flavor, Raindrop “Cake” is a glorious sight to behold, un! like anyt hing you’ve ever seen. Its brief presence alone is something to savor. We’re eager to see the photos of your finished products! 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.