Creative Ways to Keep in Touch with Long Distance Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

True friends are able to grow separately without growing apart. Even so, it’s hard to keep a friendship alive when you’re used to being attached at the hip but now have several miles keeping you apart. It’s easy to be able to catch up and update each other through phone calls, texts, and video chats, but try these creative ways to keep in touch and you may create new memories with your long-distance friends. 

Pass Along Your Memories

We’ve all wished we were a part of our own Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants situation at some point in our lives, so why not start your own with your best friends? Pass along a journal to share your thoughts and ideas, a disposable camera with photos from your adventures, or even an item of clothing that you all love to share. Keeping a link between you will bring you together and strengthen your bonds as friends.

Have a Video Chat Movie Night

Video Chatting is great for catching up, but sometimes you just miss hanging out with your best friends. Schedule a video chat movie night where you can all be watching the same movie at once. The best part is that you can all enjoy your favorite chick flicks from the comfort of your own beds, allowing for optimal laziness.

Keep Each Other Up to Date

Put those snapchatting skills to good use and send your friends some fun pictures while you’re out doing something fun or just want to let them know that you miss them. Sending silly pictures will help you share in each other’s moments even though you’re far apart.

Send Some Love Through the Mail

It’s always fun to send and receive mail, so keep your friends up to date by mailing each other small surprises. You can send each other postcards from different places you visit or even make each other small care packages as pick me ups to brighten each other’s day. Since we are surrounded by technology almost 24/7, it’s refreshing to communicate with some old school snail mail every once in a while and it’s guaranteed to make your friends smile.

Don’t Forget to Reminisce

While you should definitely try to create new memories with your friends, don’t forget to look back and remember memories you’ve shared in the past. A great way to do this is by using Timehop, an app that syncs with your social media channels and shows your photos and updates from this exact day in past years, helping you remember the good times you might not think of off the top of your head and making it easy to reminisce.

Academic Year: 2016Major: Public RelationsAstrological Sign: LibraEditorial team member, social media addict, and foodie.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis