CAS ’16 Student Government President, Faisal “Fez” Haider

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

There are two reasons I chose Faisal to be this week’s HCBU Campus Celeb. One: his nickname is Fez; thus, he carries the legacy of Wilmer Valderrama’s character on “That 70’s Show” with him everywhere. Two: he is determined to make a difference at BU from matriculation to graduation.

So, let me officially introduce HCBU to CAS’s Class of 2016 President, Faisal “Fez” Haider (CAS ’16). His studies at BU include Economics, International Relations and a Pre-Law track. When I asked Fez what he accomplished before coming to BU, he informed me that he attended three Model United Nations conferences his senior year: “Brown’s, Columbia’s and George Washington’s High School Conferences: BUSUN, CMUNCE, and WAMUNC respectively.” So, I assume he has this presidential position in the bag.

While Fez had a vision “to do big things for the school”, an on-campus election wasn’t originally in his plans. “When I heard about Student Government at Splash, I knew I wanted to participate in any way I could. It wasn’t until they began announcing that there would be elections for executive seats for each class that I decided to run for President.”

Fez jokes, “It was a very impulsive action for someone who likes to sit back and watch everything unfold. But I’m glad I did so because I met so many interesting people in the freshman class.”

So what does this freshman plan on achieving as CAS ’16 president? “Although I’m still learning about my duties as President, I will strive to do the best I can to involve all the Freshman in Student Government,” Fez tells me. “One thing that I really want to change is awareness.”

It has dawned on Fez that most students are more interested in Student Government events, as opposed to the weekly meetings on Tuesdays at seven (in CAS 132!). He is striving for students to find a balance between attending events and actively contributing their ideas.

In addition to his CAS ’16 President obligations, Fez is involved in multiple organizations around campus. He is a member of the BU Undergraduate Economics Association and served as “a Crisis Staffer for the United States National Security Council” via the BU International Affairs Association.

To supplement his Pre-Law track, he has joined the Pre Law Society. While there are different committees that make up this organization, Fez is a member of the Legal Liaison Committee. This liaison “contact[s] law forms to help members get internships or learn more about legal careers,” Fez says.

Fez presents a call to action: “We all sit by idly and watch others make decisions for us. Why don’t we participate and let our own ideas be heard? Isn’t that the point of a community? We have the potential to be so much greater than we are now, but it will take an effort from all people in the community, not just a select few in executive position[s].” 

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."