photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

The Best Songs to Listen to if You’re Single in February

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is kind of the worst. If you’re in a relationship, then you have to scramble to find something spectacular for your S.O.  If you’re not, then well… Valentine’s Day is an aggressive reminder that you are single and don’t have anyone to celebrate with.  The healthy thing to do is probably to talk about it with someone or to make plans with a friend so you have something to do.  But if you’re not up for any of that, and would rather mope and veg on chocolate, this is the article for you.

1. “Miserable at Best” By Mayday Parade

But I guess that I can live without you, but without you I’ll be miserable at best

This classic emo song is a bit of a downer and maybe a bit melodramatic, which makes it the perfect song to kick off your pity party. If you’re in love with someone who is celebrating Valentine’s Day with someone else, then this could be the perfect song for you.  On the flip side, you could listen to it and imagine someone out there longing for you and singing it with you in mind.  This could (maybe) cheer you up.

2. “On My Own” From Les Miserables

On my own, pretending he’s beside me…

Everyone can relate to Eponine a little bit.  She’s in love with her best friend, who has absolutely no clue about her feelings. To console herself, she wanders the streets at night and imagines herself being with him.  It might sound creepy, but admit it, you’ve made believe that you were with someone you had an unrequited crush on at some point. If that’s what you’re up to this Valentine’s Day, then belt out this song.  Just not in the streets at night, because that’s kind of weird and unsafe.

3. “Nicest Thing” By Kate Nash

Basically, I wished that you loved me.

In this ballad, Kate Nash perfectly sums up everything you wish for when you meet that person that you think just might be the one, but you don’t have the courage to tell them.  If there is someone you’re wistfully thinking of this Valentine’s Day, then dance along to this one.  And if you get the courage, write down some of the lyrics for a love letter for this lucky person because there are some great lines.

4. “To Whom it May Concern” By The Civil Wars

Do you ever feel like there has to be someone out there for you, but you don’t think you’ve met them yet?  Do you ever obsessively wonder about little details of this person and what it will be like to finally know them?  If that’s what you’re up to this Valentine’s Day, then this is the song for you. In this gorgeous duet, The Civil Wars tell the listener exactly what it feels like to be waiting to meet your soulmate.

5. “Woman” By Kesha

I’m a motherf*cking woman, baby, alright, I don’t need a man to be holding me too tight

At the end of your moping, you need to remind yourself that you are a strong independent woman and you don’t need no man (or woman, or partner of any gender identity, for that matter).  This is the perfect song to use to celebrate the fact that not having an S.O. means you don’t have to share your chocolate or buy any gifts.

No matter what stage of singleness you’re in, there is a song for you somewhere.  Not having a partner means you’re able to listen to YOUR favorite music without needing to accommodate anyone else’s taste.  Also, no one is there to judge you if you sing off key or dance badly.  That’s something, right?   

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sarah "Kathleen" Lupu is a senior studying psychology at Boston University. She grew up in Bucharest, Romania and holds both Romanian and American citizenships.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.